· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 237 of 238 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238 LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2380

Thread: Boof's 90g

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Don't know! First time in the year and a half that I've had my angels that they spawned haha This is all new to me. Perhaps @angelcraze2 can jump in and advise.

It's important to point out that this is a community filled with all sorts of species. Although very interesting to have the fish spawn, I am not exactly expecting much, if any, of the eggs to make it to a free-swimming phase. Simply too many little mouths. It's my understanding that angels usually need to spawn a couple of times before they learn to properly care for their young, as well, so even the parents can be potential predators of the babies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That's so amazing, sweet! How long the fry take to reach free-swimming stage is temperature dependent, but on average, 5 days. You are correct, typically a new pair of angels will eat their own eggs, especially if they feel threatened in any way. But in lightly stocked community tank, my angels will often spawn and on occasion, I've seen them raise them to free-swimming even in the community tank. They never last very long in the community tank though, like you say, just too much danger. I recently heard a pair (as you've read) protect their free-swimmers for 3 days which is amazing, but the other tankmates got a beating. You'd be much better to raise the fry artificially or give the pair their own tank. I would be really excited if you got into raising the fry, but I know you're so into SW too. I didn't even remember that you had angels

Anyway, congrats on the pair! Have they spawned before 1 1/2 years ago? I don't know why angels would take a break, unless something wasn't favorable for spawning like spawning site, nutrition, something else. I've seen angelfish take breaks and even stop breeding. I assumed it was something I did, or maybe that stupid parasite I've begun dealing with for the last 3 years. But it always makes me feel proud when they spawn because I assume they are healthy AnD happy, even if the babies don't make it.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    That is so cool, Andre! Isn't it fun when our fish do just fine without us! ha ah ha
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    If they spawned in the past year and a half that I've had them, I never saw it before. Maybe they have and the eggs were just hidden somewhere else in the tank where I didn't notice, but honestly their behavior last night was noticeably different and easily caught my attention even though it was dim in the tank and my mind was focused on the reef tank and the video I was making for Rebecca.

As far as making an effort to raise the fry... I'm not really sure I want to take that project on at the moment. I still have my 13.5gal Fluval Evo sitting in storage (my original reef tank) that I could easily set up with a sponge filter. Obviously a 13gal wouldn't be suitable for the parents. Do they need to be present for the eggs/fry to survive? Or can I move the eggs to the small tank and raise them myself until they are large enough to be reintroduced back into the community tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You can artificially hatch the eggs right away as long the male had a chance to fertilize. Unfortunately I don't think a 13g is big enough to grow some out long enough to add back to the community. There are guidelines for tank sizes and angelfish sizes, I could dig them up. The more angelfish babies you have, the faster they will outgrow said tank. Obviously lol.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    If they spawned in the past year and a half that I've had them, I never saw it before. Maybe they have and the eggs were just hidden somewhere else in the tank where I didn't notice, but honestly their behavior last night was noticeably different and easily caught my attention even though it was dim in the tank and my mind was focused on the reef tank and the video I was making for Rebecca.

As far as making an effort to raise the fry... I'm not really sure I want to take that project on at the moment. I still have my 13.5gal Fluval Evo sitting in storage (my original reef tank) that I could easily set up with a sponge filter. Obviously a 13gal wouldn't be suitable for the parents. Do they need to be present for the eggs/fry to survive? Or can I move the eggs to the small tank and raise them myself until they are large enough to be reintroduced back into the community tank?
    You can move just the eggs. I did that with a spawn that was fortunately on a large anubias leaf. I clipped the leaf and put it into a 2.5g tank. I had about 25-30 get to free swimming but it was all down hill from there. I was ill prepared, made my own sponge filter, had a heater, but I don't think I change water enough. End result was 5 that made it to a size I could give to my LFS.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Sue and Kat!

Kat, if you can find the info on babies and tank size requirements, I would love to have the info handy.

If the male was going to fertilize, would that have already happened by now, over 12 hours later? I guess I could pull the Evo out and give it a good rinse again and then fill it with RODI water when I get home, then pull the Eheim offline and transfer the intake pipe and eggs to the Evo.

I need to swing by the LFS and grab another sponge filter. I just tossed mine a week or so ago...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, he would've already fertilized. The eggs will turn a yellowish color inside if they are viable. Unfertilized eggs will turn white within 12-24 hours. Fungus sets in later, but normally the parents either clean the fungused eggs or move the viable wigglers to another spot. When hatching artificially, I haven't done it in a long long time, but I remove the white or fungused eggs myself to prevent contamination to viable eggs.

Give it a go! Depending on how many make it, you'll most likely need a larger tank to grow them out further, but 13g is good for freshly hatched fry :) You might be able to add them back to main tank earlier if the other fish don't eat at them.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Filling up tank now :)

9C0736F5-A670-4731-9717-643C9892E628.jpg

About 1/3 of the eggs are gone/scrapped off. The female is being kept away by the male, who is guarding the eggs from everyone in the tank. The ghost wants the eggs bad, and is hovering around. If he gets brave, he could easily mess up the full-grown daddy. I want to get the fry tank set up ASAP.

The eggs have already been fertilized. There are about five or six that didn’t get fertilized and you can see a huge contrast between fertilized and unfertilized.

On the road now. Wife is excited and driving me over so we can get a new sponge filter (I tossed my old one) and a little heater. Anything else I should grab? I’m assuming the fry tank should be kept as clean and bare as possible, right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the eggs Andre! Look forward to following along.

Page 237 of 238 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238 LastLast