· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

Question Trimming/Propagating anubias

0 Not allowed!
    I've got a large piece of decor in the center of my 75G that has a number of anubias growing on it with long rhizomes (8-10 inches). There are a few bare areas that I'd like to plant and was considering trimming down the ends of the anubias rhizomes. I've never propagated anubias like this in the past. If I clip off 2-3 inches of the growing end of the rhizome will the plant survive? I don't want to damage the parent plants if I don't have to. Thanks for the help!
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I've never kept anubias, but if they are anything like java fern, trimming the rhizome will cause no harm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So long as the trimmed rhizome has some roots and/or leaves it should grow.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You're probably aware that if you plant the new divisions into the substrate, to only bury the roots and not the rhizomes, themselves ... In case you didn't know that, I've now informed you. Or, you can attach them to something else in the tank.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

1 Not allowed!
    I've grown them before and know enough not to plant the rhizome under the soil I generally just let them crawl around a rock and eventually sell it off and start over. This is the first time I've considered pruning the plant to cover additional bare spots.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project