· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Puffer fish in the future

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone! I am very excited to be hear and hope to get to know everyone. I don't have an aquarium yet however I am planning on getting one within the next 2 weeks. My birthday was on the 1st and my son's is on the 22nd. We are combining our birthday gifts and getting a big aquarium together. I will be the person taking care of it. Anyways my son is wanting a Porcupine Puffer. And I am not going to lie I really like the idea. I have spoken to a fish store and what I am reading and what the fish store is telling me are conflicting. The fish store said I would need at least a 100 gallon tank. I am seeing on line I could need up to a 120-180 gallon tank? Also The fish store told me they can be housed with other fish. I have read that you can keep them with other fish. But on the flip side I have read that they aren't a good fish to keep with other fish. If they can be kept with other fish what would you suggest? I am not planning on having coral or a reef so I am not to concerned with the problems that could arise there. The one last thing I am worried about is that I was told it was ok to put a Porcupine Puffer fish into an aquarium right after it has cycled successfully. Is that correct? or was I given the wrong information.

On a side note I was told by someone that they started a snail tank and have had it for years. They use it as a main source of food for there freshwater puffer. Is this something I could do myself? I am not sure if she is doing things right or if this isn't good for them. But her puffer looks happy and healthy. If this would work could I do this with fresh water snails? and just throw the snail in when I know he/she will eat it? or would I have to do saltwater snails? if I would need to do salt water snails do they reproduce quickly like some fresh water species? Sorry for so many questions!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    You don't have to raise snails. You can purchase frozen clams or mussels to keep their beaks trimmed. You can thaw in vitamin water (Boyd's Marine Vitachem, Selcon, etc.) You can also purchase frozen silversides so that they are given a varied diet.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/...-your-puffers/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC!
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    You have to keep in mind, when well cared for a porcupine puffer will get up to 12 to 13 inches in size. Once you add some live rock in the tank with them, you are going to need about 180 gallon tank (6' X 2' X 2'). They are somewhat active and will need some space.

You can keep them with other larger fish, like some of the tanks or angels

I friend of mine used to keep one and they are pretty cool fish for sure.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]