· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   a betta for your tank ;) - genocidex   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   good for you for saving the goldfish - fishmommie   

Default Can i combine my tanks into one?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys,
    It's been a while since I have posted here, as I have been busy with school.
    Currently I have 2 tanks, a 10 gallon, and a 20 gallon.
    as school is starting again it is becoming a pain to take care of both tanks, and i am thinking about combining them into one tank.
    not sure if the stocking would work out though.
    In the 20 gallon i am planning to have,
    5 zebra danio
    6 neon tetra
    1 red gourmai
    1 platy
    and 3 oto
    this will all be filtered by a ac 30 and an ac 20.
    Couple concerns.
    1. I am thinking the zebra danio and neon tetra will make the tank look quite crowded and i am not sure if this will lead to nipping or not

2. Will the red gourmai show any aggression towards the neons? I know this comes down to the specific gourmai, and mine has shown absoltely no aggression towards my oto or zebra danio but those fish are bigger than my neons

3. is this too overstocked?

do you guys think i can pull this off. I am already starting to be lazy and skip some water-changes and routine cleaning in both tanks so i think 1 tank will be easier to maintain.
    thanks
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Is this a 20 high or 20 long? I think the numbers will work in just one tank, but I have no experience with Gouramis (I'm assuming this is one of the dwarfs?). Maybe just keep your eye on him and move him out/rehome him if he becomes an issue. Better to try one tank if you can keep up the maintenance than to neglect both tanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   a betta for your tank ;) - genocidex   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   good for you for saving the goldfish - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    This is a 20 gallon high, and yes this is a dwarf gourami. I did some more research and i think i'm going to go for it while keeping the 10 gallon running as a backup for a while.
    thanks.
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    I think you'll be okay. Make sure there is some sort of tall plants whether real or artificial. the gourami will like it.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Earlier today I introduced the platy to my 20 gallon. At first everything looked ok. Then my gourami saw the platy. he followed it very closely and was just studying the new addition to the tank, but this freaked the platy out and it dashed across the tank. then everything was normal until they crossed paths again where the same process would keep being repeated. this went on for a good 20 min, then the studying turned into aggression and nipping.
    The platy is now back in the 10 gallon and I think the gourami got a very small piece of her tail. she looks ok though.
    I guess I just have to figure out a way to keep both tanks maintained.
    I thought about selling my set-up but i have had most of these fish for 3 years, and would hate to see them go to people who don't know how to take care of them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    is there some vegetation of artificial vegetation for the platy to hide behind? I think you should try it again. Put the platy in at night when the lights are out. See how things are in the morning.
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    my tank has a lot of hiding spots, and a mixture of live and fake plants.
    I think the platy would probably eventually be fine in there but if the the platy has some trouble (about a 3.5 inch fish)
    then my neons would probably not have a chance (they are just under an inch)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'd still give it a go as suggested above. put them all in at night and leave the lights out until morning. then see how it goes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    By putting only the play, the gourami was able to focus in on that solo fish. The more fish in there, the better chance they have at avoiding the gourami. Put them all in at night when the room is dark as fishmommie suggested.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I will give it a go tonight and see what happens.