· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Really need help... betta

0 Not allowed!
    I could really use some advice with my betta fish Fleek. I'm trying to be a good fish owner, but it's tough.

My mom purchased a betta in a vase a few months ago. I knew it was entirely too small of a living quarters for it, but I didn't have to money to start a big tank. I did full water changes weekly and the fish ate and swam happily.

I went on vacation for a week and came home to a mess of a vase. My fish sitter had clearly overfed the fish, the water was almost completely white, and his top fin was all clumped together. I went to petco and got a 5 gallon tank and live plants. I used tetra's safe start for bacteria. Everything has been going well until these last few weeks. I had been treated the fish with bettafix to try and get those fins unclumped.. never fully unclumped. I do 25%water changes weekly.
    Now hes got a little scrap on his head (probably from ramming the toy mirror), so I started using bettafix again (scrape is healing fine). NOW, I'm treating it for ich with Copper Aid, because his tail looked like it had been dipped in pretzel salt.
    Keep in mind this fish behaves completely normal, builds bubble nets, swims around, eats... all of it's problems have been purely physical. Basically, I'm starring at this fish all day finding new things that concern me.

I've been using the bettafix for 7 days, and the copper aid for 3. The betta's eyes are now swelling out and getting glossy, which I've observed over the past three days but i think may have started BEFORE the copper aid treatment. Additionally, the Asian fern is starting to get this white mold looking stuff on it.

My game plan is to stop treating the fish, do a 50-75% water change, try to scrub that crap off the plant, and monitor to see if it's eyes get better.
    My ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all at 0. The GH is on the harder side between the 75-150ppm spectrum. Chlorine is 0, ph is neutral. Only thing that's low is the alkalinity.

Any suggestions? I obviously have no idea what I'm doing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by racheldrules View Post
    I obviously have no idea what I'm doing.
    I would disagree with that statement, you sound very informed.

Can you get us a pic of the betta?

And welcome to the AC.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I would disagree with that statement, you sound very informed.

Can you get us a pic of the betta?

And welcome to the AC.
    thanks! You can really see how swollen his eyes look... this just happened in the past few days! :( but his bubble net is impressive. you can also see a little bit of the white stuff on the plant base in the second picture. fleek-1.jpg fleek-2.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    The bulging eyes are startling, otherwise, that betta isn't in the worst condition I've seen them in.

I may consider starting a regimen of Seachem Paraguard with this fish if I were you.

Read about it here: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ParaGuard.html

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    that doesn't sound reassuring.. but I will definitely order it.
    I'll do a water change tonight toss in the carbon filter to help absorb the old meds and hopefully start treating tomorrow.

Thanks for your suggestion

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert with ailments, I'll admit.

Since you've already medicated with 2 different medicines, you've done much more research than I have had to with the few bettas I have experience with.

I'd say WC's are in order like you suggest, fresh clean water never hurts.

2 Not allowed!
    I would do several water changes before switching to Paraguard, to remove the copper from the tank. The paraguard is a much safer medication to use than chelated copper, which is toxic if overdosed and reacts to sulfa medications. Carbon does not remove chelated copper, like it does ionized copper, so you will have to deplete it through water changes. Bettafix will break down in 24 hours so it really isn't a concern.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

1 Not allowed!
    Yep, definitely make sure to get the previous meds out of the water before you start the next round of treatment. I've (unfortunately) seen what happens when you mix meds you shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The bulging eyes are startling, otherwise, that betta isn't in the worst condition I've seen them in.
    Having dealt with swollen betta eye(s) myself, Fleek looks to be in relatively good shape. If the swelling doesn't increase any further, he'll probably be fine; paraguard may help with that as well. Continue to monitor and let us know how it goes.

My Aggie had his eyes swell to more than twice that size while he was battling a host of other health problems. He ended up blind in one eye, but other than that recovered and lived another 2-3 years afterward. I felt like I had no clue what I was doing then either, but somehow muddled through it. That Fleek is still with you after everything he's been through I think says more about your ability to care for him than you realize. Keep up the good work!