· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 168 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Angkor Wat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I finally started carving some foam last night. I decided to start out with the raised bed for the bamboo, since most of it is going to be under the substrate anyway. It's a pretty low-pressure part to on which to learn. I didn't take any pictures--I'll save that until I figure out what I'm doing.

I'm cutting out 1x3-4" bricks with a steak knife, giving them a rough going over with a file, and beveling the edges so they will stand out from each other when they're painted. It's going to take a long time--I have to make a LOT of bricks to cover the back of a 55--but I think it's going to look really cool.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, at the time I had 2 cats that were/are older. If I was to do that now I know with out any doubt that the 1 yr old would be into everything, even if it meant she got wet and possibly electrocuted-so I would not be able to do it that way again, unless I had a way to put them into a closed room. I have put 2 baby gates on top of each other and she climbs them like a ladder, she is such a "into everything NOW" cat. The 2 others I had were not like that at 1 year of age.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I finally started carving some foam last night. I decided to start out with the raised bed for the bamboo, since most of it is going to be under the substrate anyway. It's a pretty low-pressure part to on which to learn. I didn't take any pictures--I'll save that until I figure out what I'm doing.

I'm cutting out 1x3-4" bricks with a steak knife, giving them a rough going over with a file, and beveling the edges so they will stand out from each other when they're painted. It's going to take a long time--I have to make a LOT of bricks to cover the back of a 55--but I think it's going to look really cool.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.
    I was typing when you posted this, how exciting getting the background started
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to see these pics.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Looking forward to see these pics.
    Me too. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

2 Not allowed!
    You should take step by step pictures so you can look back at them some time down the road.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, I will, once I figure out how to work this stuff. Don't worry--there will be plenty to see. Right now, in this experimental phase, my pics would look sort of like a school of piranhas attacked a smurf.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's the fun of it when you are trying to figure things out, then you can laugh about it later.
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Yesss!! Here it comes! I'm very interested to see a Walstad build. I haven't had a chance to her book yet. I'm digging your flora/fauna list and can't wait to see the finished product. Isn't the goal of a Walstad to get the tank as close to a completely self-sufficient eco system as possible?

I remember you mentioning modifying your AC outflow a week or so ago. I take it the experiment worked? I'm curious as to what you did and how the flow is now distributed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, I've read the Walstad book...TWICE. Hardcore, dude.

Her basic philosophy is to keep things as natural as possible: CO2 comes from decomposition of organic matter in the substrate; Plant nutrients come from tap water and fish food, etc. A lot of her tanks don't even have filters--she just puts in a powerhead and lets the plants take care of the rest. I don't trust my plant growing abilities that much, so I'm keeping the filter. Her method isn't for everybody--control freaks need not apply. :) But it works with my ideals of fish-keeping, and it's worked for me before.

Boof, I haven't done the outflow mod yet. Still pondering the best way to do it. Basically, I want to install a pipe or trough to move the water from the filter to the other side of the tank, so that instead of having one half churned and the other half dead, I just have a nice, slow, steady flow through the whole tank. The trick is that it's an HOB filter, so the outflow is gravity fed, and the final outlet has to be above water level. So I'm still kicking around ideas of how to make it work.

T

Page 2 of 168 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast