· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 168 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Angkor Wat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

Default Angkor Wat

4 Not allowed!
    Time to start a new journal! As many of you know, my tank setup has not been working ecologically, mostly because I did not set some things up right at the outset. Lots of questions, research, and trial-and-error later, I'm pretty sure I've identified the problems and what to do about it. And that means a new build.

Here's my plan. Same overall setup as I have now--A Southeast Asia lowland stream biotope--with the following changes:

--A Walstad-type planted tank, deep dirt/sand substrate. Filtered more heavily than a standard Walstad tank to compensate for heavy stocking.

--AC 110 filter, possibly to be replaced eventually with a canister filter. Outflow from filter re-designed to spread flow throughout tank.

--A 3-d background inspired by the Angkor temples of Cambodia, carved from polystyrene and accented with java moss, java fern, and lucky bamboo for a Ruins-reclaimed-by-the-jungle look.

--A raised area to keep the bamboo tops out of the water, but raised with solid polystyrene foam instead of flat rocks, and the wall built with glued 1-3" rocks instead of stacked 5-8" rocks. This will both eliminate possible extreme-anaerobic zones, and make the caves more manageable so I actually know where my critters are. At least occasionally.

--Plants: Lots. In keeping with the Walstad method, I will plant with a LOT of different species and let them thrive or fade in my conditions, building on what does well and eliminating what does not. I want this tank thoroughly junglefied from the beginning, so the black brush algae can never get a huge foothold. Java fern, dwarf lilies, Java and/or Christmas moss*, crypt wendtii, C. undulata, c. balinsae, Blyxa auberti*, rotala*, water sprite, dwarf hairgrass*, water lettuce*, etc. etc. etc.

--Fish and inverts: All from the SE Asia region, Vietnam to Sumatra. 5 pearl gouramis; 12 pentazona barbs; 9 dwarf chain loaches; 1 red tail black shark; 15 Amano shrimp*, 2 bamboo/singapore shrimp*, 2 mystus bimaculatus*, 5 kuhli loaches*, 10 mystery snails*.
    *still to be acquired.

This is going to be a slow build. I have way too many irons in the fire, and there are some big challenges to this. But I'm an artist and I'm inspired, so I will find a way. This weekend, I have finalized my design, gathered my materials, and I'm about ready to start building the backdrop. Let me know if you'd like to see my sketches; otherwise I'll just take pics as I build.

Anybody know the Khmer word for "Yee Haw!"?
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 08-30-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    good luck on your new set up. Will be eager to see photos.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Challenges:
    1. Carving what I hope will be a fairly intricate backdrop out of polystyrene sheet, a medium I've never worked in before.
    2. I'm working with a tank that is already stocked and working. That means that I have to have everything ready in advance so things can go in fast once I tear down. I have two 10gs to keep everybody alive in during the final phase of the build, which might take a week or two. Hopefully that will be enough.
    3. The combination of 1 and 2 means that I can't do a lot of trial and error (i.e. build a piece then stick it in the tank and see how it looks or fits). So, not much margin of error. That makes me nervous, but hey! Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Some of my inspiration for the backdrop and overall look:

Angkor-Ta-Prohm-banyan-roots-engulfing-building.jpg

angkor-468_640.jpg

Mrs. Badger actually vetoed the Buddha face--too creepy. Just as well--I don't really know how I'd carve that, anyway. So, I'm looking for less-creepy but equally interesting alternatives.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!

Subscribed
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

1 Not allowed!
    Good luck on your new build. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ah, 'tis a hard thing, being off to work when all I really want to do is shoot my bow and work on my tank. I haven't quite figured out a way to get paid for either of those yet...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Should be quite an interesting build, fun to see come together.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Challenges:
    1. Carving what I hope will be a fairly intricate backdrop out of polystyrene sheet, a medium I've never worked in before.
    2. I'm working with a tank that is already stocked and working. That means that I have to have everything ready in advance so things can go in fast once I tear down. I have two 10gs to keep everybody alive in during the final phase of the build, which might take a week or two. Hopefully that will be enough.
    3. The combination of 1 and 2 means that I can't do a lot of trial and error (i.e. build a piece then stick it in the tank and see how it looks or fits). So, not much margin of error. That makes me nervous, but hey! Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
    When I did the tear down of my 55 gallon tank because my stand failed (what happens when pressboard meets water, a tank starts to lean on its stand), I thought it would be a simple switch to a new stand-but since I had to break the tank down anyway and re home my fish temporarily in plastic storage containers, I decided to make a background for the tank, then I found a stand that I had to modify to work for the 55. Then I decided I hated the skinny 55, and found a 75 on craigslist for a steal, and brand new. So this is how my 75 gallon is born from the catastrophe of a wet 55 gallon tank stand.

My fish sat in 2 or 3 large storage containers in my living room (I had 3 canister filters at the time so was good with that) for over 2 months. The plecos and corys in the dark container with some hides and low light plants. The tetras in the lighter container with the high light plants, and a separate container with my substrate from the 55 (yes it was filtered too!) I did water changes on them and fed every 3 days. I had the 55 gallon glass top on the 2, and the light on that too. Wasn't the ideal setup but it worked.

So you can take longer if you need it (see there was a point to my rambling ).

By the way-saw this online and thought how funny if you do a background and add it to the tank-or a bookshelf near the tank..

15b4738f2a7a2fb07cc97960ca2c4be8.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-31-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good to know, Boun. My big challenge there will be finding a place to put the containers where the dog and cats will stay out of them. ha ha ha

I've seen those ornaments. Thought very seriously about getting some, but they were way too small for the scale of my tank...besides, where's the fun in just buying something when I could build it myself? :)

Page 1 of 168 1231151101 ... LastLast