· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question DIY Aquarium Lights

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone! I have been getting a good amount of Diatoms on my plants lately because of my weak LEDs. The Semester has started so I don't have money for a $60+ light fixture right now. I saw some people using clamp on desk lights on their aquariums. The plants used to be in a ten gallon with a desk light pointing into it and they had no problems. They are in a 30 gallon right now so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to try the DIY alternative. Here is a picture that someone did that I would like to do.
    P1070577.jpg
    What type of Bulbs would I need to get?
    http://www.amazon.com/EcoSmart-Equiv...0_SR160%2C160_
    would that be good enough?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering that for a relatively long tank, the two lamp fixtures may not distribute light evenly. I once had a 20 gallon with 2 compact fluorescents. The plants had a tendency to grow fastest only immediately beneath the lights.

Would it be possible to find a cheap shop light fixture and then install high quality plant growth bulbs in it? That way you might get more even lighting while avoiding the costs of a specialized aquarium light.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For a beautiful tank :) - steeler58   Let's bump this school up! - Compass   I'll match Compass's neon! - steeler58   Now we're getting a shoal going! - Compass   A NUDDER WUN!!! - Compass   

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on what you want the outside of the tank to look like.....Maybe just knock up a simple wooden light box (paint the inside white as a reflector) and basic stand for it?

I use three L18W/865 Osram neons. They are relatively inexpensive. You'd just need some ballasts and a little bit of woodworking skill. Not sure if the tools would be available to you......

Not sure what something like the ballasts would cost. In SA the dedicated aquariums bulbs were so expensive that more ballasts with simpler T8 lights was significantly cheaper and is working well.

I can post a pic of the tank if you want proof that it works.
    My journal....Swimming in South Africa:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...49#post1329449