· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 14 of 167 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Good point Rocksor, I would need to look at the original report to determine exactly what the chlorine is battling. I probably won't be able to get that information until Monday. We are not on city water but a small community well that is for the property only and not from the township. The community well is softened in a very small treatment plant on the premises and that is where the chlorine is added. The area supplied is not much more thant 25 - 35 acres and does not travel far so evaporation probably doesn't come into play here like it might in a large municipality. The condo association's maintenance team manages the water treatment and at the mext board meeting I'll be brining up having an outside service do this, we'll see how that flies amongst the other members.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Day #27 of the cycle: scratching my head.

Yesterday added Prime, the whole tank in the event there is any chlorine/chloramine left from the addition of the new decor a week and a half ago.

Ammonia .3 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates 0 ppm
    pH 8.3
    Hmmmmmm. Water has turned slightly cloudy yesterday and today. Well at least that is some action!

Waiting. Bummer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I began to wonder if maybe something was wrong with my test kit reagents. I took a sample to my non big box LFS and had them test it. For real. With their own API kit. They got the same readings and colors I got at home with mine. At least I know that there is nothing wrong with my kit. I think I might be one of those 5-6 week cycles. At least I hope it dosen't go any longer than that!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DebinWhitmore View Post
    Day #27 of the cycle: scratching my head.

Yesterday added Prime, the whole tank in the event there is any chlorine/chloramine left from the addition of the new decor a week and a half ago.

Ammonia .3 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates 0 ppm
    pH 8.3
    Hmmmmmm. Water has turned slightly cloudy yesterday and today. Well at least that is some action!

Waiting. Bummer.
    That wasn't necessary, only use Prime to dechlor your source water when doing WC's or topping off the tank.

Cloudy water could mean a bacterial bloom, which is a good thing.

The trAte test is the trickiest one of the bunch, be sure to shake bottle #2 like mad before use.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    It probably wasn't necessary but I don't think it hurt anything either. Some people dose the whole tank when just doing a PWC and others just put in enough to dose the new water so I'm guessing it was not overdone. That said, when I rinsed off new plants in chlorinated water I shook them well but thought that maybe enough droplets came in to cause a problem, it was quite a bushy plant, so re-dosing it was just a precautionary measure.

On a better note, the ammonia has dropped some more, finally it moved from just under .5 ppm to someplace between .25 and zero. Just amazing! Too early for the happy dance but I think the band might be warming up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear the cyle is going in the right direction.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DebinWhitmore View Post
    It probably wasn't necessary but I don't think it hurt anything either. Some people dose the whole tank when just doing a PWC and others just put in enough to dose the new water so I'm guessing it was not overdone. That said, when I rinsed off new plants in chlorinated water I shook them well but thought that maybe enough droplets came in to cause a problem, it was quite a bushy plant, so re-dosing it was just a precautionary measure.

On a better note, the ammonia has dropped some more, finally it moved from just under .5 ppm to someplace between .25 and zero. Just amazing! Too early for the happy dance but I think the band might be warming up.
    It didn't hurt anything, you are correct.

The "maxim" for dosing Prime is generally this: If you use a siphon hose to refill the tank after a WC, dose Prime to treat the entire tank.

If you use buckets to refill the tank during a WC, dose the bucket amount.

I always use my siphon to refill (MUCH easier than buckets, even with smaller tanks), so I dose for my entire tank volume, 1 ml/10G, on all 3 tanks (10G, 29G, and 40B)

Honestly, with the fact that Prime can be used safely at 5X the recommended dose (according to Seachem), I'd dose Prime for the entire tank volume either way, buckets or hose.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

2 Not allowed!
    Glad to see that you are making some progress again with your cycle.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I am glad too, you are getting very close to having a cycled tank, kudos for your efforts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Debi,

Do you have live plants in the tank?

Page 14 of 167 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast