· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Another cac to further complicate things, lol - Slaphppy7   

Default Strange behaviour from one of my celebes rainbowfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Three weeks ago I have bought 5 celebes rainbowfishes and two weeks later 2 of them died (two females). I was left with what I believe 2 males and 1 female. One of the male was staying with the female, while the other male (the smallest) was staying apart, mainly just under the surface water, and I did notice he was swimming slightly tilted on one side.
    Thinking it was because of the bigger male bullying him as there was only one female, I bought 3 more females, in the hope that he would join them eventually.
    He seems to swim straight now and does join them sometimes, at feeding time especially, and he is eating frantically, like the others, but at other times I see him on his own just under the surface water swimming in the flow of the filter (he is not gasping or trying to breathe on the surface).
    The other celebes are fine, and all other fishes are fine too, I just wonder why he is doing that.

GH = 260ppm = 14.5dGH
    KH = 130ppm = 7dKH
    pH7.4
    Temp = 77 F

I keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite and I do a 40 to 50% water change every week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

4 Not allowed!
    Just a quick question, you say you keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite. Are they zero? Or are they fluctuating? If they are not steadily at zero that could be a problem to look into. As for him swimming in the filter flow, rainbows do like some current, so he could just be enjoying himself.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Another cac to further complicate things, lol - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I test my water especially when I see some problems with some fishes, or sometimes after the water changes too. And yes, they are both at zero.
    The fact that he was swimming slightly tilted made me think he was sick or something. That came after two death in no time. I thought they came from a bad batch, but I was told that it was imperative to have at least two females per male, or there will be problems. And I had three males and two females. Or so I thought. Now maybe one of the two who died was a male, but at the end I was sure I ended up with 2 males and 1 female, so now I am sure I have 2 males and 4 females, so the male-female ratio is right now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Well then it could have just been that those two that died did not transition well and that this third one was also affected but was able to come through it.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I hope so, I hate losing a fish. I did read that they might be a bit delicate and require high water quality.
    He has been spending the last couple of hours with the others, now he is back at the top of the water and is being swayed by the water flow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I bought a school of 14 threadfins from a fish store after the Aquarium Expo in Scahumburg in November 2014. I brought them home and they died almost overnight. I have 2 left in my tank that are fine and dandy-could be poor stock, could be bad breeding, could be anything when they go so fast.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I am sorry for your losses...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I thought about bad luck, but it's the first time I am buying fishes that dies that quick after introduction in the tank. When I bought the last three females I had them for free, probably partly because I was told I paid too much for the first ones I bought, and as well because I think they want to get rid of them. People are not that interested in them because they want colourful fishes, and don't look at how less colourful species could have very interesting behaviour.
    31.5 gallons tank, Fluval 306 external filter, 9 cardinal tetras, 2 cockatoo apistos, 4 three-lined corys, 4 celebes rainbowfish, 1 gardneri lafia gold killlifish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, as I suspected, the little male died today. So now I am hoping the remaining 5 will do fine from now on. I am in two minds about going and get another male. I am in two minds about getting more of them in fact.
    Shame, I do like them.
    31.5 gallons tank, Fluval 306 external filter, 9 cardinal tetras, 2 cockatoo apistos, 4 three-lined corys, 4 celebes rainbowfish, 1 gardneri lafia gold killlifish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear of the additional loss.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers