· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Worried about my moray eel

0 Not allowed!
    i have this moray eel for more than a year
    i was keeping it in freshwater until four months ago and throughout this months i fed it frozen shrimps every day or once in a couple of days and it was always hungry for more. then suddenly it's appetite decreased to the point in ate a shrimp weekly, at best.
    once i fed it a shrimp and it was eating it like there was no strength in its jaws! it was then when i realized they must be kept in brackish water so i moved it to a smaller brackish tank in may but to my surprised it stopped eating completely. i haven't seen it eating anything since may and i'm really worried about it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    I was wondering if you could answer a few question for me in order to better help you

Do you know what type of moray it is ? Knowing that could help a little here

How long of a acclimation period did you giet your eel and what is the current salinity level at ?

Is the tank his tank cycled, and if yes, what are the current water parameters ?

Do you have hiding spots for your eel to completely hid his entire body in ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I was wondering if you could answer a few question for me in order to better help you

Do you know what type of moray it is ? Knowing that could help a little here

How long of a acclimation period did you giet your eel and what is the current salinity level at ?

Is the tank his tank cycled, and if yes, what are the current water parameters ?

Do you have hiding spots for your eel to completely hid his entire body in ?
    I think it's a yellow dotted moray eel

I did not exactly get your second question but when I moved it from the freshwater I didn't suddenly put it in the salty water. I gradually added the salt (which was 8 teaspoons for 15 liters of water) in over a month period. But in choosing the Salt I think I made a grave mistake. I poured the freshwater salt into it!

yes. it is cycled and it's temperature is around 27. but I don't have a PH meter.
    I just added a vase which the moray eel hid in it promptly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

4 Not allowed!
    if you are sure this is a yellow spotted moray eel (Gymnothorax moringa) then I do have some information and suggestions for you.

These eels do best in marine environments. They can also get to a maximum size of 3 to 5 feet in length and about as round as a pop can. They are have also been known to very aggressive to humnas and all other tank mates, making them best to be on their own. You also have to keep in mind that their bite is very dangerous to people. For all of these reasons, it may be best to rehome him. They to do not make good pets, epically if you have no experience keeping marine eels. If you want to keep him, you will need to do the below in order to provide a proper home for him
    -upgrade your tank to a 6’ 125 gallon or (even better) 6’ 180 gallon tank
    -add lots of dry/dead marine rock that will provide him a lot of hiding spots that his full grown body will completely fir into
    -use marine salt (not freshwater aquarium salt) to slowly bring the salinity up to 1.025 to 1.027. Take about 5 to 7 weeks to do this so your beneficial bacteria will not all get killed off in the process and the eel can adjust without further effecting his health.
    -feed your eel every 2 to 3 days.
    -ensure your set-up has a very tight and heavy lid as these guys are very good and strong escape artists
    -use lower levels of actinic lighting to help him feel more safe
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    if you are sure this is a yellow spotted moray eel (Gymnothorax moringa) then I do have some information and suggestions for you.

These eels do best in marine environments. They can also get to a maximum size of 3 to 5 feet in length and about as round as a pop can. They are have also been known to very aggressive to humnas and all other tank mates, making them best to be on their own. You also have to keep in mind that their bite is very dangerous to people. For all of these reasons, it may be best to rehome him. They to do not make good pets, epically if you have no experience keeping marine eels. If you want to keep him, you will need to do the below in order to provide a proper home for him
    -upgrade your tank to a 6’ 125 gallon or (even better) 6’ 180 gallon tank
    -add lots of dry/dead marine rock that will provide him a lot of hiding spots that his full grown body will completely fir into
    -use marine salt (not freshwater aquarium salt) to slowly bring the salinity up to 1.025 to 1.027. Take about 5 to 7 weeks to do this so your beneficial bacteria will not all get killed off in the process and the eel can adjust without further effecting his health.
    -feed your eel every 2 to 3 days.
    -ensure your set-up has a very tight and heavy lid as these guys are very good and strong escape artists
    -use lower levels of actinic lighting to help him feel more safe
    This is him just now.

1 Not allowed!
    I added marine salt and now he is eating again...
    Thank You very much Cliff