· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Creating a new tank - Compatibility with GBRs

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there! I have a 36 gallon long-ish tank which used to house a few mollies and other easy beginner fish. I had some fun especially with a big group of sword tails who bred like crazy! Unfortunately the live bearers died off and I just lost my last fish, a sword, last week. The aquarium is empty now and does look a little unappealing to the eye. I've decided that I'm going to do a total reno of the tank! I was slowly figuring out the new look for the tank when I came across some German Blue Rams in the local Big als. Love at first sight! Some of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen. Now that the GBRs have totally stolen my heart, the new design of the tank is going to be completely GBR idyllic. I would love to have 1 - 2 pairs of them (2 or 4 fish) in a little Ram haven. I have had more difficult species in other tanks, and I've also had success in breeding the Betta Splendens and raising some beautiful betta fry, so I think I'm ready for some Rams!

QUESTION #1
    I'll need some help though:)! The first of my questions is the little matter of tank mates. I know rams are the most peaceful version of chiclids, and that they'll do well with other peaceful fish.
    I was thinking along this line:

-2 or 4 Rams (advice - will 2 pairs get along as long as there are lots of little nooks and spaces?)
    -a shoal (advice- is four a good number of hatchets?)Marbled hatchet fish
    -some kind of schooling fish - Gold neon tetra or Harlequin rasbora (what is the best schooling fish for this tank set up? something that is turqouise or yellow/gold would look nice, which is why I am leaning towards the one of the two prev/ listed)
    -and if I have space, some other type of fish

Are there any other fish types that are known to go wonderfully with rams? Would any of these guys clash horribly? Let me know if this is too many fish!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Creating the tank (sort of QUESTION #2)

I'm only going to get really into the exact design of the tank after I have decided exactly what fish I should get, but I know there is a very specific way of designing a GBR style tank. Dense plant clumps, some floating, with some open space and lots of hiding. I was thinking a sideways garden pot or 2 might make good hiding spots. I'm totally open to suggestion on how to build a great Ram tank!

There will definitely be some questions along this line in the future!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WATER! (QUESTION #3)

I know GBRs are water sensitive, so I need all the tips I can get on having perfect water quality from the beginning to the end. My usual method to fill up a tank would be to take water from the sink and de-chlorinate the entire tank when its full. This probably isn't the best way to achieve good water quality! How do some of the experts out there fill up their tanks?

Also, how might I go about acclimating the rams to the tank once it's all ready?

I know it's a lot of questions but I would love some help!

Thanks! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Question 1.
    Only one pair of rams for your size tank. I know they are small but rams take up a lot of room especially when spawning.
    Personally, I would skip the hatchets if you are going to get active shoaling/schooling fish in the same tank. Hatchets are nervous fish and will jump when startled.
    Go with both the harlies and the gold neon tetra and no hatchets instead of one or the other and the hatchets.
    Instead of the gold neons have you considered glowlight tetra? They look stunning in a tank well planted tank with a dark background and substrate. Or maybe some bloodfin tetra?

Question 2.
    Skip the pots, they're ugly and I doubt a GBR would consider them a natural part of its environment. Instead get lots of plants, driftwood, and a few larger rocks.

Question 3.
    GBR will appreciate a mature tank, plus because they are the most aggressive fish you will be adding to your tank, you need to add them last. Let the tank mature several months before adding them.
    If you do the cycle with ammonia, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640 you can add all the fish, except the rams, all at once. If you cycle with fish, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492 you need to add fish in small groups and do lots of water changes until the tank is cycled then add more and do lots of water changes until the tank cycles etc...
    How you add the water determines when and how much dechlorinator you add. If you use buckets, then add enough declor for the amount of water in each bucket. If you use a water change siphon that hooks up to the faucet http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python...uarium+cleaner then you add enough dechlor for the entire volume of the tank before you add any water back.
    If you buy your rams locally, chances are they are already acclimated to your water and minimal acclimation will be necessary. You should ask the LFS you get your rams from what the pH, GH, and KH of their water is and check it with your own.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! About how many of the rasboras and tetras would you recommend?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    In a 36 gallon you could easily have a dozen of each.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me