· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This one only has 2 eyes, sorry! - Slaphppy7   You need another GBR! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   

Default How to tell a panaque apart from other types of pleco?

0 Not allowed!
    Title says it all. I know panaques eat wood and have the dental structure to match, but are there any other tell-tale signs to look out for if they aren't in the mood to plop their faces on the glass?
    You should probably know, I like to be silly and don't take myself too seriously; if something I said sounds offensive, you can safely assume I was joking. Feel free to respond in kind, I'm pretty thick-skinned.

I'm a beginner and I'm here to learn, so if you see me doing something wrong, I'd like to hear about it please. That said I'm a huge nerd and I like to over-prepare, so unless it's obvious I haven't, you should take it I already did my research.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

6 Not allowed!
    It gets very obvious with experience, as panaques tend to have a very unique look.
    panaque catfish tend to have bulky, domed bodies in comparison to most other loricarids. They tend to have
    proportionally massive heads and large pectoral fins with thick, bristly leading rays. Another characteristic that I've tended to observe is that while with most plecos and fish, the pectoral fins attach far behind the eyes, panaques seem to have their pectoral fins set up front or their eyes set far back, so that the base of their pectoral fins looks almost beneath the eye or even in front of it relative to the snout. I would highly recommend you to google pictures of panaques and compare them with pictures of commonly kept pleco genera such as hypostomus, ancistrus, etc. the differences should be quite apparent.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This one only has 2 eyes, sorry! - Slaphppy7   You need another GBR! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I tried precisely that, but my untrained eye couldn't see the difference without knowing what to look for.
    Now I can sort of tell, although I'll need some practice... Thank you so much!
    You should probably know, I like to be silly and don't take myself too seriously; if something I said sounds offensive, you can safely assume I was joking. Feel free to respond in kind, I'm pretty thick-skinned.

I'm a beginner and I'm here to learn, so if you see me doing something wrong, I'd like to hear about it please. That said I'm a huge nerd and I like to over-prepare, so unless it's obvious I haven't, you should take it I already did my research.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You are very welcome!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    probably the most common panaques or 'royal' plecs you will find are L190 and L191.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I was asking is I want to find a Panaqolus species (don't mind much which but hopefully P maccus or P albomaculatus) because they stay small. I want to be able to identify it myself so that I'm sure that I get what I buy, because mislabelling is fairly frequent at my LFS.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have a Gudgeon. Have a Sea Cow - Compass   Have a cory for your future tank! - steeler58   Have another Cory! - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep :) - steeler58   everyone needs one of them - cm12setx   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    probably the most common panaques or 'royal' plecs you will find are L190 and L191.
    And then theres the rare blue-eyed panaque
    image.jpg

Seriously, this dude has been for sale at an LFS for like 2 years,
    he costs $900. But its an amazing pleco, I'll give it that

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    It gets very obvious with experience, as panaques tend to have a very unique look.
    panaque catfish tend to have bulky, domed bodies in comparison to most other loricarids. They tend to have
    proportionally massive heads and large pectoral fins with thick, bristly leading rays. Another characteristic that I've tended to observe is that while with most plecos and fish, the pectoral fins attach far behind the eyes, panaques seem to have their pectoral fins set up front or their eyes set far back, so that the base of their pectoral fins looks almost beneath the eye or even in front of it relative to the snout. I would highly recommend you to google pictures of panaques and compare them with pictures of commonly kept pleco genera such as hypostomus, ancistrus, etc. the differences should be quite apparent.
    Very nice explanation