· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question Goldfish. To Plant or Not to Plant?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I think that it would be very cool to do a planted 29 Gallon planted Goldfish tank. I've heard mixed views on the subject. I know that they can graze a lot on different types of plants. I've been recommended to try Amazon Sword and Java Fern. Are there any other types of plants you might suggest. Also is a planted Goldfish tank really as bad as a lot of people say that they are? Would this project be worth my time?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a few more tetra's ;-) - steeler58   Thank you for the rep :D - afro123   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You might try anubias as well.

0 Not allowed!
    I have no experience with goldfish, but I do have experience with aquatic plants. I personally keep java fern and anacharis. I like these two species because they do not require root tab fertilizers or a large amount of substrate. That being said, you must purchase a different light than what normally comes in hood setups. And you also must have fertilizer that you just put in the water when doing water changes so the plant's leaves can absorb the nutrients.
    I have two bristlenose plecos and 5 ghost shrimp, which are bottom feeders. They occasionally like to dig around the roots to pick off food but no damage has been done and my plants are thriving. There are new growths on them. Java fern is especially cool to see the new leaves start to unfurl.
    Here is what I use:

http://m.petco.com/product/124855/Aq...t=OnSiteSearch
    http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-16269-Fl.../dp/B00025K0W6

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I have mollies and neon tetras and they like to pick on the leaves, I'm guessing to eat little pieces of food. It doesn't hurt my plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Aquatic plants do great things for aquarium water and your fish.
    http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/01/...arium.html?m=1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

3 Not allowed!
    I am also looking into doing a 40B for a 2 fancy goldfish tank. The plants they recommend, which goldfish should leave alone, are those with very papery-leathery leaves like the swords, ferns, java ferns, and anubias. Plants goldfish like to eat would definitely include anacharis, and hornroot, and some parts of a banana plant. That doesn't mean you shouldn't put the plants in the tank-just expect them to be nibbled on or outright gobbled up. When I had goldfish years ago their favorite was the anacharis. I wouldn't even plant it, just leave it floating for them to graze to death-which they did-but they left my Amazon sword alone.
    Today there are so many different varieties of swords, anubias and ferns that you have a great variety that should be safe against goldfish-unless they are very hungry or have no sense of taste.. Bonus with the anubias and java ferns is that they need to be attached to rocks or wood so the goldfish can't dig them out of whatever substrate you have in the tank.

These are some sites on goldfish I found when I was looking for information a few weeks ago;

http://thegoldfishtank.com/plants-with-goldfish/

http://aquariadise.com/goldfish-aquarium/
    Last edited by Boundava; 08-16-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore