· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I'm so torn! lol

My initial plans, yes, were to keep the tank critter-free. Then Sue made the comment that she forsaw some neons ending up in the tank and it started to eat at me (curse that woman!). Add that to the fact that I can't add anything else to my other tanks and you can see how it just makes sense to add stock to the Iwagumi haha

I am a very sensible woman!!

Can't really see adding the christmoss (see what I did there?) to the Iwagumi, but who knows? Once I see the moss in person I should have a better feel for how big the leaves(?) get and how well it attaches to things. If the individual branches or whatever you call moss aren't too big, I might be able to attach them to the rocks... I dunno. I have a bad itch for wanting to add more and more stuff to my tanks, but if I go crazy with the Iwagumi I will quickly step outside the criteria for it to be classified as a legitimate Iwagumi tank.

I don't think the moss would add to this tank, but rather would probably detract from the Iwagumi style. It grows like crazy.
    Comments in red

Dr Seuss book Oh, The Places You'll Go! is a beautiful book and a favorite book of mine. Now I'll have to find it and re-read it. Hopefully, I still have it. When we finally got around to cleaning out a lot of my son's children's books years ago, there were a few he wouldn't let go and some I wouldn't let go. I'm hoping this is one of them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Haha I wasn't serious about the whole cursing thing :P But you ARE the one who planted the seed :)

Dr. Seuss was my favorite growing up and almost all of my son's books are from him. He gets to pick out two books each night and he usually picks DS books :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    When we finally got around to cleaning out a lot of my son's children's books years ago, there were a few he wouldn't let go and some I wouldn't let go.
    There is a stack I am refusing to let go of. My hub argues some with me over saving so many, but yeah... not gonna get rid of a few of them. Hub actually put a couple in that stack too. This book is in that category. It contains meaning for adults too -- well, for me anyhow. I quite like it.

Also, I agree with Sue that the unruliness that is the nature of the moss would detract from the Iwagumi style.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Haha I wasn't serious about the whole cursing thing :P But you ARE the one who planted the seed :)

Dr. Seuss was my favorite growing up and almost all of my son's books are from him. He gets to pick out two books each night and he usually picks DS books :)
    I got it.

If you don't have Oh, The Places You'll Go! , make sure to find it sometime. As RiversGirl said, it's different from his others in that you will find meaning in it as an adult. I can't remember my son's age when we read this together, but I think he was old enough to get at least some of that meaning - certainly beyond toddler stage.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll be sure to pick it up for our little one. The title and cover art look familiar...but I'm not sure if I ever read it when I was younger. Looks like it didn't come out until 1990 and I think I was past DS books by then.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I so love children's books... could talk about those nearly all day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    There was nothing like the bedtime story time - no matter how good or bad your day was. My son would sit mesmerized while I read. Even watching TV, he would have to be doing something else at the same time, like playing with legos or matchbox cars. Not so with story time.

Unfortunately, he's not quite the avid reader today that I am, so my hundreds of books will be donated some day, unread by him. But every now and then he'll buy or download something I wouldn't expect of him. Ulysses by James Joyce is one that he's read that I would not want to tackle. There's a few of my favorites I'm still working on him to try.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Oh, you're in luck! I actually just created a Chatterbox thread devoted to children's books

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Oh, you're in luck! I actually just created a Chatterbox thread devoted to children's books
    and I've chattered there, way too much I'm afraid.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    There was nothing like the bedtime story time - no matter how good or bad your day was. My son would sit mesmerized while I read. Even watching TV, he would have to be doing something else at the same time, like playing with legos or matchbox cars. Not so with story time.

Unfortunately, he's not quite the avid reader today that I am, so my hundreds of books will be donated some day, unread by him. But every now and then he'll buy or download something I wouldn't expect of him. Ulysses by James Joyce is one that he's read that I would not want to tackle. There's a few of my favorites I'm still working on him to try.
    You just described my own son! He likes movies/TV, but will rarely actively watch them; he just likes to have something on in the background while he plays with his cars. Story time, however, is a completely different experience. Each night all three of us lay down on the floor with some pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals and he focuses entirely on the books.

I hope he grows up and continues to share my love of reading. My mother got me hooked as a small child, and I loved reading through all the stories she had in her study and then sitting down and discussing them with her. I hope to share a similar experience with my own son, but I know that kids usually don't grow up having the same interests as their parents.