· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    You guys are too funny lol

Thanks for the reassurance, Rivers! I'm probably going to go moss-happy with the betta tank. I'm wondering if I can get a nice group of shrimp in there if the moss will give them a safe haven from the Terrible Mr. Fishy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I'm wondering if I can get a nice group of shrimp in there if the moss will give them a safe haven from the Terrible Mr. Fishy.
    I'd be careful with that....if he's inclined to eat shrimp, they'll disappear in a hurry, moss or no moss...it just depends, every betta is different
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I would love to be able to do a moss-filled shrimp (and snail, I think) tank. I'd LOVE to just let the moss go wild.
    (My mts will never allow me to sate it! It can outpace my ability to add another tank, every time. I just quell it by vicariously enjoying other member's tanks...)

What I mean by all that is:
    Yes!! Please do get a mass of moss, some shrimp and let's do this.

Actually, there have been several (stages) times where the moss grows and becomes like a heavy bough of a tree and the fish really seem to enjoy swimming all around that. Of course, nothing stays the same and as it grows more, the effect shifts. Still, I have enjoyed those stages.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    oh, A betta tank....

I missed that detail.

I need a shrimp tank, so clearly.... *sigh*

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I'd be careful with that....if he's inclined to eat shrimp, they'll disappear in a hurry, moss or no moss...it just depends, every betta is different
    Blast that stupid betta! Aaargh! So you think he will still be able to get to them even if there is a jungle of moss everywhere?

How are your wife's shrimp doing? Have you caught the betta in the act of harming them, or is he just chasing them?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    oh, A betta tank....

I missed that detail.

I need a shrimp tank, so clearly.... *sigh*
    Ha! Yes, unfortunately this particular tank has a very aggressive betta in it. The mystery snail has finally been accepted, but that's only because the betta's attacks were foiled by the shell.

I would love to have a shrimp tank. I'm almost curious how a bunch of shrimp would do in the Iwagumu tank. I'm not sure if they would like it, though, as it won't have much cover....just the baby dwarf tears and some dwarf hairgrass. I'm assuming shrimp prefer a bit of overhead cover?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Even with the jungle of moss, if he wants them, he'll get them....we just don't know until you try, but it could end up being a pricey experiment.

Wife's shrimp are hanging in there, I've seen him "bump" them, but not actually eat them...but no telling at night, or when I'm not watching.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I would love to have a shrimp tank. I'm almost curious how a bunch of shrimp would do in the Iwagumu tank. I'm not sure if they would like it, though, as it won't have much cover....just the baby dwarf tears and some dwarf hairgrass. I'm assuming shrimp prefer a bit of overhead cover?
    Does this Iwagumu tank design allow for some Christmas moss...?

The shrimp appreciate some place to hide out when they molt. If you could work in a hiding place for them and if they fit into this tank's overall look that you have in mind, then go for it.
    You're planning livestock in that tank now (?) -- I'm behind on the plans, as I was thinking you were going to keep it without critters. I have some reading to catch up on!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'm so torn! lol

My initial plans, yes, were to keep the tank critter-free. Then Sue made the comment that she forsaw some neons ending up in the tank and it started to eat at me (curse that woman!). Add that to the fact that I can't add anything else to my other tanks and you can see how it just makes sense to add stock to the Iwagumi haha

Can't really see adding the christmoss (see what I did there?) to the Iwagumi, but who knows? Once I see the moss in person I should have a better feel for how big the leaves(?) get and how well it attaches to things. If the individual branches or whatever you call moss aren't too big, I might be able to attach them to the rocks... I dunno. I have a bad itch for wanting to add more and more stuff to my tanks, but if I go crazy with the Iwagumi I will quickly step outside the criteria for it to be classified as a legitimate Iwagumi tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Here is the thing. (and my opinion of it all)

This is YOUR tank. That is both the most wonderful and the most dilemma-inducing aspect there is. You are in control of the plan. It is entirely up to you.

Rather reminds me of the Dr Seuss book Oh, The Places You'll Go! Personally, I am prone to walking in circles -- but you'll walk your own path.

If the goal you wish is to build an Iwagumi- styled tank, than your research points to the outline to follow. In the end, you have to enjoy this tank -- as it is purely your creation.