· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

1 Not allowed!
    There we go! not a bad looking stand, like slap said please make sure it can support the weight.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    I followed Slap's lead and went with pool filter sand (same brand, bought at Home Depot) and it works great. Another alternative to cheap sand substrate is Black Diamond blasting sand. It's not actually sand, though. It's coal slag that has been ground up into tiny particles. It's about $4 more per 50lbs bag than the pool filter sand, but that's still a good price for substrate. I have it in my 29g. A 50lbs bag gave me a deep bed like Slap's, but my tank has a smaller footprint. Two $10 bags should be more than what you would need for 2-3".

Here's a pic of the Black Diamond right after I added it:

image.jpg

Just wanted to suggest it in case you were looking for another color option.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first red cherry shrimp! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion on the Black Diamond blasting sand, I will definitely look into it! I wanted to go with black originally but buying black sand from the LFS gets expensive in large quantities... Where did you buy yours?

Thanks for reposting the pic slap! I didn't realize that it didn't upload properly...

I will definitely make sure the stand can hold my tank before I fill it, I would hate to have something happen to it...
    3g - Cycling
    40g breeder - Under construction

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    TractorSupply. That's the only retail place I know of that you can get it from by physically going there. If you don't have one of those nearby then you'd have to order online from other distributors and the shipping costs are horrendous...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdancer98 View Post

Thanks for reposting the pic slap! I didn't realize that it didn't upload properly...

I will definitely make sure the stand can hold my tank before I fill it, I would hate to have something happen to it...
    You are welcome...yes, test the stand by adding weight, see it it bows or otherwise seems to give under pressure
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I have my tank set up! I set up the Aquaclear filter today and filled the tank with water so I can get going on the cycling process.
    Added the ammonia and I'm sitting at about 4ppm so we'll see how things go this time around!
    3g - Cycling

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats! looking forward to see how it turns out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! Did you pick out your substrate yet?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have decided to go with the Black Diamond blasting sand. I like the look of the black I just didn't want to pay and arm and a leg at my LFS so I'm glad I was able to find a cheaper option!
    3g - Cycling

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Like your stand and the blasting sand, can't wait to see pics of it set up and running.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore