· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first red cherry shrimp! - Slaphppy7   

Post jdancer98's 40B Adventure

0 Not allowed!
    I'm taking the plunge and upgrading to a 40 gallon breeder tank within the next week and a half or so. I plan on starting out with one of two filters, a heater, possibly some plants, sand for the substrate, a top, and an LED light source. Is this all the equipment I need to start the cycling process?

Out of these two filters which do you guys think would be the best to start with? I plan on having both on my tank before I add fish so that if one heater dies I'm not totally SOL. Also... If I start with one and add the other later will it affect my cycle at all?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000260FUW/...ZAHP5XPB&psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGX7JXA/...PVWJC1GN&psc=1

These are the two heaters I have been looking at...
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MMJ8EE/...I3I875D72LK73E
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GKN12A/...OEIVJ9G7&psc=1

Which one is better? Is there that big of a difference between having it encased in glass vs plastic?

I would like to build my own top and set up my own LED light source, but I'm not sure the best way to go about that... Suggestions are welcome (and very much needed)!!

Now onto stocking...

I would like to keep
    12 Cardinal Tetra
    12 Pencilfish
    6 Serpae Tetra
    6 Red Phantom Tetra
    2 BNP

What do you guys think?? I plan on doing weekly water changes and will have both filters listed above... Is this too overstocked? Are these fish even compatible? I know almost all of my choices are schooling fish so I want to have a good number of each to keep them happy. Any suggestions/comments are welcome!

Well... I think that's all the questions I have.... For now...lol
    3g - Cycling
    40g breeder - Under construction

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    What, no cories? I would ditch the serpae tetras for a school of cories - adolfoi or duplicareus are nice, though a little pricey. Pandas are really cute. There are so many options, but I would stick with ones around 2" or so.

I would also only have one BNP and you will need some driftwood for him/her. Some are smaller than others but the one I have in my 40B is about 6" and I wish he was much smaller. Might as well get the driftwood while you're cycling as it sometimes takes a while to sink, depending on the wood. You can just let it float in the tank during the cycle and it should be sunk by the time you're done. Or depending on the size, you can boil it over and over until it sinks.

Adding a 2nd filter at a later date will not affect the cycle as long as the first one stays in place. I don't have any canister filters but I'm guessing that those folks who do have them will recommend that you start with that, then add the HOB. I have 2 HOB's on my 40B. And at some point, you will want to get a Python or Aqueon water changer, if your faucet will take one. It makes water changes much, much easier.

Also regarding the heater, if you have a fail and it breaks in the tank, it could be a mess to clean and make sure all glass is out of the tank.
    Last edited by SueD; 07-25-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   You needed a Angle Fish! - Plecos   congrats on the gorgeous tank - fishmommie   nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    As far as the filters I probably start with the canister then add the Aquaclear. The heaters I would recommend the Aqueon pro, that's all I run in my tanks.
    220g bala shark, tinfoil barb and silver dollar Tank.
    125g planted wild altum Tank

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    On the filters both you linked to are good. I have aqua clear filters and think there are great. Others here have sunsun filters and get good feed back.

The heaters you list I prefer the aquenon pro. I have been running the same one for three years and think is very good.

For a lid to the tank look at one like this. http://www.amazon.com/gallon-Breeder.../dp/B0002AS80M

SueD gave good advice.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    What, no cories? I would ditch the serpae tetras for a school of cories - adolfoi or duplicareus are nice, though a little pricey. Pandas are really cute. There are so many options, but I would stick with ones around 2" or so.
    Yep, great suggestion, especialy those suggestions, two more would be C. metae, Matt/Slaphappy has them in his 40 and C. schwartzi, one of the best, IMO, of the striped variety ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first red cherry shrimp! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I bought my tank today!
    Here's a picture of my tank on the stand I will be using

Attachment 42158

I unfortunately won't have the filter until Friday so until then the tank is going to have to be empty until then :(

I'm trying to find pool filter sand for the substrate and was looking for cheap places I can order it online, so, any suggestions??
    On that note... How much do you guys think I will need? I want to keep live plants so I will need about 2" in the bottom is what I've found so far, I'm just not sure how to figure out how much I will need...

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
    3g - Cycling
    40g breeder - Under construction

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdancer98 View Post
    I bought my tank today!
    Here's a picture of my tank on the stand I will be using

Attachment 42158

I unfortunately won't have the filter until Friday so until then the tank is going to have to be empty until then :(

I'm trying to find pool filter sand for the substrate and was looking for cheap places I can order it online, so, any suggestions??
    On that note... How much do you guys think I will need? I want to keep live plants so I will need about 2" in the bottom is what I've found so far, I'm just not sure how to figure out how much I will need...

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
    I would plan on 2lbs per gallon for a 2" substrate. Here's a little calculator - http://www.howmanyfish.com/how-much-gravel.htm

I'm not sure where to buy the pool filter sand except at a pool supply place, but I think Matt got his at Home Depot? maybe. I'm sure he'll weigh in.

Oh, and that link didn't work for me to see the pic.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, a 40B filled with water, deco, etc. will weigh close to 500 pounds...I'm not sure that piece of furniture you have it sitting on will handle the weight...can you get us some better pics of it, with the door(s) open so that we can see inside?

Here's the PFS I bought from Home Depot, around $6 for a 50# bag...can't remember how many bags I used, but my sand is very deep, 5" in some places

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-...5350/202314677
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    yeah its not loading the pic for me either

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Here's the pic the OP tried to post:

40b tank.jpg
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers