· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 37g tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first red cherry shrimp! - Slaphppy7   

Default New 37g tank

0 Not allowed!
    I am looking at buying a TopFin 37g Aquarium Starter Kit, but since I'm just starting out I'm not sure if the equipment is well suited for the tank or if it is a good quality.

The starter kit comes with:
    Top Fin Power Filter 40 With Cartridge
    Hood with LED lights
    Canopy
    Adjustable 200 Watt Heater
    Strip Thermometer
    Fish Food Sample
    Water Conditioner Sample
    Water Testing Vial

Will this equipment work for this tank and is good quality equipment?

Also, one of the cheapest stands I have found fits the dimensions for this tank, but it says it is meant for a 29g tank... Will this still work or do I need to buy a different stand?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    The kits come with sub-standard equipment...you'll find that you will want to replace everything but the tank once you have had it a while...I went through the same thing with a 10G.

If the tank is indeed 30" x 12", then a stand for a 29G should work
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Do some research and determine what you have the space for first. Save yourself some money and buy each piece separately.

As Slap said, those 'kits' come with the cheapest possible of everything.

Have you already thought about what type of fish/tank you'd like to keep? (such as freshwater community, perhaps?)

Have you measured the place you want to place it?

Welcome to the AC!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    The 37g also looks to be a pretty tall tank, which makes maintenance a lot more difficult, especially if you're considering live plants. Harder to plant, trim, and to get the proper light down into the tank. Harder to vacuum the substrate.

I recommend looking at a 40g breeder,which is on sale at Petco for $40 (tank only). Then of course you'd have to get all of the other parts: glass top, LED light, heater, filter (2X aquarium volume). It will be more pricey, but you'd most likely end up upgrading the kit parts any way. If you're sure this is the hobby for you, go for it. It's a lot of fun. If you want to just test the waters, so to speak, you could start with a 20g long tank (also on sale for $20). The add-on parts for this would be less expensive, but this is also a great size tank to work with.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first red cherry shrimp! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    SueD thank you so much for the information on the tanks for sale at Petco! I think I will go with the 40g since I definitely am going to become a hobbyist! :)
    What brands for equipment would you guys suggest? I want good quality equipment (although I'm sure that's a given), but I also don't want to break the bank.
    If you could post links for specific equipment that you suggest that would be awesome!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

1 Not allowed!
    I buy my equipment online from Drs Foster & Smith. Buying online will save you big $$$.

I recommend - the 40 breeder, a great tank to start with. Lots of options for aquascaping & stocking.

Filtration - you want to have at least twice your tank size in filtration, so a filter(s) rated for 80 gal or more, depending on how heavily stocked your tank will be. You can go with 2 hang-on-back (HOB) filters rated for 80-100 gal, a single canister rated for at least 75 gal or a combination of both. For a 40B, I would go with either 2 Fluval Aquaclear 50s (AC50) HOBs ,a single SunSun HW302 canister or if you want to stock a lot of fish, the Sun Sun canister and an AC70 (Aquaclear 70) HOB. Other excellent canister filters are Eheim, Fluval and Filstar.

To heat the tank, if you get a canister filter, get a Hydor inline heater - a 200 watt if you're in a warm climate, a 300 watt if in a cold one. For a submersible heater, I recommend the Aqueon Pro Heat, either a 150 or 200 watt.

Lighting will depend on whether you want a planted tank.

Good luck and post any questions - we love to help newbies!!!
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never had a canister filter so you can wait to hear from others on those, if that's what you might like. I use the Aqua Clears Laura mentioned and the suggestion for 2 AC50's is a good one. You could also do one AC70. But I like having 2 filters on larger tanks for better flow and in case of failure. I also agree with the Aqueon Pro heater suggestion - make sure it's the Pro version, which is all plastic encased. The regular Aqueon is glass, I believe.

For lights, I have the Current Satellite + on 2 tanks and the Finnex FugeRay on 3 tanks. I like them both and both have the moon light feature. You might like the extra features of the Satellite, but I found I didn't use them too much. Others use them all the time. Do some research and listen to others who might chime in. Either one is a good choice.

For the glass top, you might find it at PetCo, but if not, you can get that on-line, also. But get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gallon-Breeder.../dp/B0002AS80M The ones on the Drs Foster & Smith site (which I use a lot) are a little confusing and state that they come as 2 panels - you don't want that. You could call them or post a question to find the correct single top. I've found them pretty responsive in the past.

Are you considering using live plants? Yes, of course you are. Consider Caribsea Eco Complete as a substrate if black is Ok. Others will recommend pool filter sand (much cheaper, but not black). I haven't used this, but folks have good success with it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Filter, for the money, this sun sun canister is great. You want 4x the gallons turned over per hour. This is 370gph which will do almost 10x. Now taking into consideration, if you have this on a shelf or high up, there is going to be a loss of gph flow due to having to fight height, etc, this is what I would do.
    http://www.amazon.com/4-Stage-Extern...ywords=sun+sun

I have several different heaters, this aquatop will do. You want 150 watts for a 40g breeder
    http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-Aquari...sh+tank+heater

Substrate, go to any pool store and get yourself a 50lb bag of pool filter sand for around $7.

For a hood, you have many options and it really depends on what YOU want to do. If you are going for plants, use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSu...asun+led+ho+48

If you are going for just a standard tank, depending on what YOU like and what YOU want in this tank, home depot is the answer. In their lighting department, they have two great things. One is a plastic coating in 4x8 foot sheets that can be cut to size for your hood and you can drill your own access holes for the filter and all that, and they have shop lights of every shape and size that do not look bad. Instead of a $100 light, you could walk out spending $20. But again its up to you. Also dont buy any t5 or t8 bulbs for any hood from a pet store. Home depot has any length and type of bulb you need and so does www.lightingdirect.com i believe. You are going to want 6500K on the package which is the color the of the sun. It will give you the truest light and color and also has less blue in it allowing less algae growth.

The stand is going to be the pricey thing as it really depends what you want. Are you doing a stand or is it going on something like a dresser?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

1 Not allowed!
    As everyone has mentioned it is better to get everything seperatly. I to was looking at those kits, but after some research and advice from members i have decided against this option.

everyone here knows how my tank size rollercoster is going lol, started at a 50g then 65 back to a 56 now 120g lol oh god help.....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    You will need an API freshwater master test kit and python no spill water changer.

kensfish.com is another good online place to get filters, etc.