· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Managuensis (Jaguar) Cichlid Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone,

I'm planning on getting a 300 gal. aquarium (96L x 30W x 25H) and was thinking of getting a Managuensis Cichlid. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these fish. What kind of tank mates would you recommend (if any), what types of food do you feed (live, frozen, pellet, etc...) and how often?

I currently have a full grown Jack Dempsey in a 90 gallon (he is about 10"). Could this potentially be a tank mate? I would like to move him to the larger tank, but don't have to since he seems quite happy where he is

here is a list of some tank mates I have in mind, but not set in stone

Jack Dempsey (as stated above)
    Green Terror
    Texas Cichlid
    Flowerhorn
    Red Devil
    Red Terror

These are just some of the fish I read about people keeping with their Jags, but I have also read a lot of articles about Jags that wont allow any other fish in the aquarium regardless of how big it is.

I welcome any advice on tank mates and care of this fish. Please list any fish I haven't already listed above

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    The jag will be the fastest growing, so I would plan on the others being twice the size of the jag if you were to buy them all at once. All the fish should be the same sex. This will prevent pairing and causing any issues for the other fish. If you have a mellow jag, it could work in a 8 foot long tank. You'll be pushing the bio-load with that many fish, even with a sump filtration.

Get the jag to eat pellets. It will be hard to convert it over to pellets as they can be quite picky eaters.

What is your water ph? What is the GH?

Why a flowerhorn? Out of the group, the green terror will be the most passive.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply Rocksor!

My tap water is neutral and fairly hard (not sure what the actual GH is). I wouldn't get all of the fish listed just one or two if space/aggression permitted. I don't necessarily need to get the Flowerhorn. it was just an option I read that someone kept with their Jag.

What about the Dempsey? Since I already have it he was the forerunner on the list. any other suggestions on tank mates?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    IMO the dempsey doesnt belong with anything more aggressive than a sevrum or standard acara. If I was you I would not go this route but I know the appeal to the monster fish. Monsterfishkeepers.com is solely devoted to these fish and may have more advice for you. I personally would be OK with keeping all of these in an 8ft tank at any time. But I would get them all at 4in compared to the jags 1.5 lol. Jags are just mean!!!!

I would guide you to try Paratheraps Coatz or other paratheraps types. THey are great fish and really pretty!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    I've had jacks that were hyper aggressive, and could stand up to any of the fish except for a aggressive jag.

If you put the jack in, it will be the dominant fish until the other fish are close to it's size (75%). With the aggressive fish that you want, I would keep 6 in the 300g to manage aggression. You might lose fish along the way.

0 Not allowed!
    I'll probably leave the Jack in the 90. He isn't that aggressive so I wouldn't want to risk it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    good idea, ive never had a jack that was more aggressive than an acara...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    a red terror will not usually tolerate any other fish as tankmates. jaguars are about a 6/10 IME as far as aggression goes. red devils probably your best bet although each fish is different. might take some trial and error in which case you need another aquarium to separate anyone being bullied too badly.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

0 Not allowed!
    I've have had 2 Jags......the one I currently have is around 14" & psychotic in aggression.....can't keep anything w/ him.....& Jags can & will dominate large tanks. Caution is to be exercised. Be ready to pull out any cichlids that get beaten on.

I currently have mine in a 75GL...getting ready to move, will be in a 125GL once that is accomplished.

Water changes are the lifeblood of this hobby.

0 Not allowed!
    Very Nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast