· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To the new angel's health. - Slaphppy7   

Default Going to start my first reef tank. Could use some tips

0 Not allowed!
    I will be starting up my first reef aquarium with a 20 long and I was wondering what equipment I will be needing. Mainly what kind of lighting I will need. Anyone have any suggestions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    First things first, what type set-up do you want? What type of corals do what to keep and what else do you want to stock in this tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Following...

I am doing the same but starting with a light, I am using an aquasun 18in led. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Aquasu.../dp/B00DSRPUG6

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I actually switched to a 20 tall. Figured it would be better than the long. I don't have room for a sump. I am just going to put some soft corals in there. As for other stocking, I'm thinking maybe a pair of Red Firefish and a pair of Banngai Cardinals. The LFS has a pair of the cardinals along with a couple other fish in a nano reef and they look pretty cool in there. I found this lighting the other day. What do you think?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...&child=ES08600

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    That light fixture would work good for softies. You may want to swop out the 10,000K bulb for a 18,000K one to help aviod algae growth.

You stock list is pushing it a little for those fish, but it might be worth a try.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay cool. Would it be better if I just got one of those two pairs of fish?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree that lighting would suffice for softies. Being your first reef i would also like to recommend you use only ro/di water (0 tds) and a high quality salt mix. Also make sure you get some pumps of some sort; you'll want to aim to have your tank turned over at least 25 times per hour. That being said, if you decide to use a substrate be sure you avoid oolite else it will just blow around your tank.

Also, more on lighting.. Since the thread was aimed mainly at lighting, opinions may vary. As i mentioned this t5 fixture would work but you may also consider an LED option instead because it will run cooler and in my opinion, looks a lot cleaner. Or perhaps spend a bit more and get a kessil 160. Lighting like a kessil provides maximum shimmer and pretty much zero disco ball effect because it is a single light source point (like our sun) versus a strip led. Kessil type lighting and many of the LED options also offer color control knobs and are dimmable. They also usually include moonlighting.
    Last edited by cosmicgabe; 07-28-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by keithw283 View Post
    Okay cool. Would it be better if I just got one of those two pairs of fish?
    Its not the number of fish I was talking about. Sorry that I wasn't very clear in my last post. I just do not think the Banngai Cardinals are doing to do well in a tank that small. The below link has some more suggestions for fish better suited for you tank. I would suggest taking a look and see what other fish would interest you

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=118816

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Originally I wouldn't consider putting the cardinalfish in there but I was thinking about it because the one I have in my 88 gallon sticks to one little corner of the tank at all times except for feeding time. I'll probably just end up going with a pair of red Firefish. This might be a stupid question but, when do I add my clean up crew? Does it change at all since it is a reef tank or would it still be after the cycle is complete? I was just wondering if I should add my corals before or after the clean up crew.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by keithw283 View Post
    when do I add my clean up crew? Does it change at all since it is a reef tank or would it still be after the cycle is complete? I was just wondering if I should add my corals before or after the clean up crew.
    The answer is very simple, when you have something for them to clean up after your tank has cycled. This will have northing to do with corals or anything else in the tank

Once you start seeing algae, then start adding your clean up crew. Start slow. I would think around 12 or so astria snails would do it, but not until you start to get algae growing on the rocks.

I would wait a few months after your tank is cycled before adding corals.