· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first red cherry shrimp! - Slaphppy7   

Post Beginner looking for help with my 3g tank

2 Not allowed!
    I am a beginner looking to start my first tank since I had a betta. When I had the betta I used a water conditioner to make that part of the environment suitable for him/her (I'm not sure the sex... It was named Dory, I let my 2 yo nephew name it, it was blue and he really liked Finding Nemo at the time. Anways...) I want to become a hobbyist so I am trying to establish my 3g tank (I know it's small I only plan on starting with a couple fish) as I would a bigger tank so I can learn with something small and learn to do it right the first time (I know there's not necessarily a single "right" way).

I would like to keep 3 tiger barbs and 1 snail (I'm not sure which kind; most likely whichever my locally owned pet shop has in town) in my 3g tank. Advice?? Both positive and negative feedback welcome just don't chew me out, as I said I'm a beginner. I'm willing to change anything and everything about my fish choices. This is what I have chosen based on the research I have done and a little "experience" that I have with a tank that my parents had when I was about 6-7 that I would occasionally help take care of.

I would like to get live plants immediately to help speed up the cycling process I'm just not sure what species I need and how many plants I would need. I'm willing to order plants online if my local pet store doesn't have the ones you recommend.

Also along the lines of plants... Sort of... How should I do the substrate since I want to keep live plants?? I have colored gravel right now, should I get something else or will the gravel work fine?

Before I start my tank I plan on purchasing all the equipment I need. Here is a list that I have compiled of what I think I need:

Filter
    A clamp light with a cfl light
    Thermometer

I have an air pump and what I believe to be a water heater. (It's been a few years since I've had dory)

Any advice on brands and models (with links preferably) is needed! I would like to upgrade to a 30g (maybe bigger?) tank at a future date so any equipment that I can use for this tank and also the other tank when I upgrade would be greatly appreciated! (I understand this may be extremely limited)

Price isn't so much an issue as I want to do this right, but I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks!!

P.S. Sorry for such a long post I have a lot of questions!

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...#ixzz3gDVlNNjM

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Please read this carefully.

Most of us or rather all of us support the idea of a 5 gallon as the bare minimum for a fish tank. In that you can have either a 1 betta with some snails or shrimp. Or just a shrimp tank.

You cannot have tiger barbs because
    a) they are a schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of 6+
    b) they are very active and need a 25-30 gallon tank to keep them.

For substrate regular pool filter sand will do and seeing as you are a beginner research plants like java moss,java fern and anubias as they are very hardy and very easy to grow(i.e tie them to a piece of driftwood) and place on top of the sand.

A betta is a fish that doesn't like strong currents and so a filter like a sponge filter will do as they are cheap and are perfect for a betta fish.

Also see the post on cycling you can find on the forum.

Cycling a small tank is harder than cycling a bigger tank and so if possible go directly for the 30gallon tank.

Read the post on cycling (again)

A heater is good for the tank and I think a 10-25 watt heater will do for a 5 gallon.

You can still do the 3 gallon but it needs regular water changes.

Also it wont exactly be good if you put a 30-40 gallon filter in a 5 gallon fish tank, so again please decide careful on the tank you want to buy.

Again please read the sticky on cycling and if possible buy yourself a test kit(API is said to be really good)

Welcome to the AC and I hope you enjoy the place :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I read both the posts on cycling and am I curious; to do the cycling with plants do I just place the plants in the tank and continue to cycle like normal?
    I plan on buying the API master test kit, In the posts I've read that one seems to be the most popular and reliable.
    I like the idea of doing a shrimp only tank and I have a few questions about it.
    How many shrimp can I feasibly keep in the 3g tank? (I am willing to do frequent water changes)
    How often do I need to do the water changes?
    What species do you recommend?
    Could I also keep a snail with the shrimp or would that not work?

I do not have the money to fund the 30g right now, but when I get the money I plan on upgrading.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    You can cycle with plants, but if it is a fishless cycle you will need to supply the plants with ferts or else they will have poor growth due to not getting any nutrients. If you have fish in the tank the fish will help fertilize the plants with their poop and provide the CO2.

Welcome to the AC! Don't worry about asking questions or being chewed out; we were all in your shoes at some point or another. It's good to see people who have the mind to research the hobby ahead of time haha A lot of people, myself included, get aquariums without having any knowledge about the hobby and end up frantically researching just to keep our fish alive haha I killed six out of seven fish in less than two days when I first started back in March. Poor little fellas...

Going back to something you mentioned earlier...most of the equipment you buy for tanks is designed for specific sizes. If you step up your sizes you will have to buy everything over again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I would recommend cherry shrimp as they are cheap and hardy.
    You can start with around 10 as they reproduce a lot. But if possible buy the 5 gallon

Shrimp like moss and plenty of hiding spots as well.

Java moss is quite good as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry you should do bi weekly water changes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC! I am new as well and doing a lot of research right now for my first tank (65g)! I am so excited its hard to wait lol

You are in good hands with this community :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a few more tetra's ;-) - steeler58   Thank you for the rep :D - afro123   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC!
    I agree with afro, tiger barbs won't work in that size tank.
    I would only do a betta in that size tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    A 3 gallon, you could have shrimp only.

A 5 gallon, you could do a single betta.

You can cycle with plants and no ferts, I did it with all of my tanks, no problem...you just have to choose easy to keep, hardy plants.

You've been given excellent advice above; keep asking those questions, you'll get the help you need.

And, welcome to the AC
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    A 3 gallon, you could have shrimp only.

You can cycle with plants and no ferts, I did it with all of my tanks, no problem...you just have to choose easy to keep, hardy plants.

And, welcome to the AC
    What did you use for substrate and what plants would you recommend?