· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Equipment thoughts

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,
    As some of you know im about to be setting up a 50g (36x18). I would like input on what some of your go to equipment is, budget is pretty much unlimited so fire away.

for filtration i am going canister, should i get one that is rated for twice the gallonage* (don't know if that is a word) or should i get two.

what is your favorite substrate? i am leaning to something more fine than course, also not sure if i wanna go dark or light as in black or white sand. don't know if anyone has any thoughts on this but fire away.

i know im forgetting something i am sure everyone will remember for me lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    Generally, when I get a canister, I get one that is rated for twice the aquarium size or at least 5 times the GPH of the aquarium size (250gph in your case). I would get the eheim classics, a single eheim 2215 would work well in your setup. If you like redundancy get 2 x eheim 2213.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor still undecided if i will get the two or just stick with the one. thanks for the brand plugs i will check those out for sure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with the Eheim, and would maybe add an AquaClear HOB to compliment it.

Perhaps an AC50 or an AC70.

I have the Eheim 2215 and an AC70 on my 40 gallon breeder tank, works great, approx. 163 gallons worth of filtration, or 4X my tank size...I keep alot of fish in that tank.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    what are you guys and gals thoughts on Fluval and marineland brands as far as canister filters? i am still leaning towards eheim but wanted to know your experiences with those other brands.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

4 Not allowed!
    Both brands are okay. With any canister, you need to make sure you buy spare seals for all the components that have "o-rings". You also have to lubricate these o-rings every year at a minimum with 100% silicone grease (food grade the most desirable).

The Eheim classics have proven reliable for over 20 years, whereas the Fluval and Marineland brands have gone through revisions every few years. It all depends on the features and cost that you prefer.

Don't compare the GPH between different brands, as you will notice that Eheim prefers to have a lower flow rate to optimize biological filtration through more "contact time", whereas other brands are leaning more towards mechanical filtration, hence the higher gph.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'd get a Eheim 2217 for it. I would also get a hydor inline heater. One less thing in your tank. As far as substrate, it depends on what color you want. Until you decide, it's hard to make a suggestion.

Lighting would depend on if you plant it or not.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Agree 200% with Eheim classic canister, I have two 2217 on my 75 gallon. You can do the aquacler HOB with one, but that will need weekly maintaining vs. monthly/bimonthly with the canister. Hydor inline heater is great, would reccomend getting a thermostat (I use the tFinnex thermosta-you can search for it on Amazon) to regulate it. If you are going natural, planted tank i would go with Eco Complete. Its not as coarse as gravel, but not sand either...however it really helps plants do their best. Also a great light for planted tanks is the Finnex planted +, also great deal at Amazon or aquacave.com.

If you are going planted you may want to invest in CO2. Aquatek has some good stuff,a lso on Amazon.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for the replies and great advice. I think i will go with the 2217, I am pretty sure i can get it local, that's what i really want to do is get everything local if at all possible...I'm so impatient when it comes to buying stuff (don't worry, i do have patients when it comes to cycling and setting up).

I have heard a lot of good things about the Black Diamond sand, so i may go with that. But then again i have seen a lot on YouTube and on forums about the Eco Complete.

I saw a some stuff on the Current USA satellite pro lighting system that i might use... it looks like it would be pretty good for a planted tank.

Everything is still up in the air right now but i am researching till my fingers bleed on everything and I'm really glad i found this community.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwfish13 View Post

I saw a some stuff on the Current USA satellite pro lighting system that i might use... it looks like it would be pretty good for a planted tank.
    I really like the Currents, have them on all 3 tanks of mine.

Plants grow just fine using them, I use no ferts or CO2.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers