· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   Have a tetra, you fit right in with this crew!! - steeler58   thank you for the stocking suggestion - showmebutterfly   TGIF! (non-alcoholic for you!) - showmebutterfly   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    White cloud mountain minnows are a good fish that can survive in cool temperatures.
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    If you want a cooler water tank, you still have some nice options.

In addition to the dojos, you can keep White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Just make sure they're the adult size, as the little fry-sized ones sometimes sold in the LFSs could get eaten by the dojos. The adults are too large for that. They're a schooling fish, so you'll want at least ten of them, preferably more in a tank that large.

Rosy Barbs also do well in cooler water, and the males are a brilliant fiery red. I have them in with my Dojos, and they don't really bother them, though they can become rather competitive at mealtime. Just make sure there's enough food in the tank for everyone -- surface food that gradually sinks, and food that falls straight to the bottom for the dojos. Rosy Barbs are also schooling fish, so get about six or seven of those. They get somewhat larger, but aren't huge fish.

Zebra Danios and Glofish Danios can adapt to the cooler water if properly acclimated. They can add nice color and variation of pattern to your tank. They're about the same size as fully-grown White Clouds.

I don't recommend Leopard Danios, as I've found their markings not very interesting. You have to look closely to even see the tiny pin-dot "leopard spots" on them, and often there aren't very many of those. The ones I've seen in the LFSs I use have been visually disappointing.

Rosy Minnows, also known as "Fathead Minnows", are kind of a pinkish gold or apricot color. They get slightly larger than the White Clouds, but still not too large. They like to be in schools, also, so four, five or six should be fine.

All of these fish will thrive in cooler water.

Some recent research I've done has Crimson-Spot Rainbow Fish as peaceful community dwellers that are easy to feed and the one species will do well in cooler water. Make sure you go for just that species, however, as other Rainbow Fish are tropicals. I suggest you Google those.

Don't put goldfish in your 55. It's too small for them.

Your options are limited with cold water, but you can still have a nice tank with a varied community of colorful and compatible fish.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being a good sport, lol.... - Slaphppy7   I'm happy you bought more of these guys! - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys for all the cold water information but I'm still set on warmer water 72F+

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For a beautiful tank :) - steeler58   Let's bump this school up! - Compass   I'll match Compass's neon! - steeler58   Now we're getting a shoal going! - Compass   A NUDDER WUN!!! - Compass   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    What M/F ratio, Richard?
    3 females to 1 male
    My journal....Swimming in South Africa:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...49#post1329449

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Perfect...any breeding activity that you've seen?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Rule of thumb with goldfish is 20 gallons for one and 10 gallons for each additional.
    I've seen this many years, and this makes little sense. Why does a single goldfish require 20 gallons of volume water, and then the same size adult goldfish require less?

Is the 20 gallons in reference for the initial tank size and not the overall volume? I can get a 20g column tank, which is not the same as a 20 g (24"x13").

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being a good sport, lol.... - Slaphppy7   I'm happy you bought more of these guys! - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Can someone tell me about moss? say i was to get a large center piece such as a big piece of drift wood and wanted to grow moss on it, is this possible? will it grow quickly and constantly have to be picked off?

Edit: Can someone tell me where i can get a custom made 3D background made?
    Last edited by zack857; 07-27-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on which moss, as far as growth is concerned...but yes, many types of moss can be tied to DW and allowed to grow from nutrients in the water column, and a good light source.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+a...utf-8&oe=utf-8

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slap,

I live near a beach and there is a secluded part behind my house with uprooted fallen over trees and an abundance of drift wood, can you please link me something or explain how to get a piece of drift wood ready to put in my aquarium, im sure yo cant just grab it, cut it, and rinse it and it be ready and safe

Will the light that Boof supplied be a well suited light for moss? (http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa...dp/B00C7OTEVS?) 6500K and Full spectrum? Or i could also go with this light?
    Last edited by zack857; 07-27-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have the Current fixture on all 3 of my tanks, and my plants do very well.

For beach DW, you will want to soak it many times to get the salt out of it, or better yet, boil it.

Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast