· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question Looking for Small Fish who enjoy water current

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. When I first got my 30 Gallon tank I bought two koi angelfish and two silverdollar fish. They can technically still live somewhat comfortably in the tank but are not really thriving so I am probably going to take them back to the local fish store where I got them. I have always been interested in fish that live in streams. I would really love to recreate this in my 30 gallon. I have aquascaped my 10 gallon betta sorority and things are going really well for the plants. I used that tank as my test tank to see if I could actually keep the plants alive and they have been doing well. I recently went to an aquarium in my town and they had lots of freshwater fish native to where I live (The Ozark Mountains). It was amazing to see these fish up close and personal. I would really love to create this for my home but I don't want to have to buy a 100+ gallon tank to do it. I was wondering if there are any smaller fish that would enjoy swimming against or in a current. I was also hoping that they would be able to school. Any suggestions would be great!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    So just to be clear, I want to have a circulation pump on the right side of my tank. I have seen rainbows who really enjoy swimming directly into the stream. So are there any smaller fish who enjoy a stronger circulation?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

5 Not allowed!
    What are the dimensions of your 30g tank? The surface swimming area makes a difference for particular fish, especially if you intend to have a lot of flow. e.g a 30g tall tank at only 24" long is not ideal for this, but a 36" long tank has more possibilities. Here's a couple of suggestions for the longer tank.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...lia-lineolata/

http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...hys-albonubes/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

3 Not allowed!
    Sue gave you some good pointers there as well as fish to look at. A lot of the fish out there are bottom dwelling algae eaters. So when you set up your tank, you want lots of rocks (of course) but you also need to wait until you get a healthy algae growth before adding any of these fish. Because of their constant need for food I would not recommend getting them and feeding them algae wafers or stuff like that to keep them going till the algae grows in. Here is a link to my 40 gallon river tank. Should find something in there to help you out.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117311

I think you certainly can do it in your thirty gallon since I think it is the same length dimensions as a 20 long. However you will be limited to the smallest of fish. So my odessa barbs might not work for you. The White Cloud Mountain minnows are perfect fish for this. Small, easy to find, and love the current. Any of the smaller danios (except for the Celestial Pearl) would do well. I'm thinking, zebra danios or pearl danios. For the bottom of the tank you can use any of the swellia, gastromyzon, or psuedogastromyzon species. Again, they need a very established tank to do well.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help. I added Zebra Danios and I really like them. I was scared at first because the angel fish tried to eat them but eventually the angelfish found out that they could not out run the zebra danios haha.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

1 Not allowed!
    If you decide to keep them, be careful of too much flow for the angels. Make sure they have places with less flow. Also, do not get any longfinned danios, as they will have trouble swimming. Any of the regular finned danios are great in a river-type tank. And be sure to get the pump with the right output - too strong of an output will tire the fish out.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

1 Not allowed!
    White Cloud minnows love current.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah I haven't installed a power head yet. I won't until I have acquired the hardscape that I want. I also want to spend some more time with them. I'm gonna hate to get rid of them but the wife said no more tanks. Which is understandable because of our small apartment. I'll probably get some more in a few years. :)