· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyler's 40B #1

Default Tyler's 40B #1

0 Not allowed!
    Hello I'm considering starting a 125 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have some fish in mind and need help knowing how many of each, and if they are compatible. Thanks!

Corydoras catfish - my first choice would be the Nanus Cory, followed by sterbais, false juli, and agassizi. But Nanus is my first choice.

Danios - gold white clouds

Gourami - neon blue or flame dwarf

Rams - German Rams undecided on color maybe electric blue

Rainbows - boesemani

Rasboras- harlequin

Tetras - neon Cardinal or rummynose

Pleco - thinking about the gold nugget

And also I was wondering how to get water a stable ph, as in do you use ro water or distilled like a saltwater aquarium ? I'd rather not use tap water thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   You needed a Angle Fish! - Plecos   congrats on the gorgeous tank - fishmommie   nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    As far as stock that's pretty much up to you. For Cory's check out brochis cory's. They get in size like 2 to 3 inches and look good in a 125. As far as stable Ph I just use my water out of the tap. I have a well and the water stays at a Ph of 8.0.
    220g bala shark, tinfoil barb and silver dollar Tank.
    125g planted wild altum Tank

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

1 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the forum! You seem to know your way around a fish tank but I'll ask one of our usual questions we like to ask new people.

Are you familiar with proper cycling techniques? The fishless cycle to be precise? Information can be found in the link below.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

As for your stock, I like all of it except the rainbows. They get big, require lots of space to move around and I'm just not sure how they would do with some of your other smaller fish. They will certainly work in a tank this size for sure, but I don't know if they would still conflict with the other fish or if there would be plenty of room for all.

Cories - Yes, you could do several schools of different species actually. Maybe 13 (I like odd numbers) of two or three different types.

Danios - White clouds are actually not danios, but that is neither here nor there. They would work well and due to there size you could get a rather large shoal of these guys. 20 or more I'd say.

Gourami - Since this is such a large tank have you considered some of the larger gouramis? Pearls are quite exquisite and you could have a nice group of these. Moonlight gouramis are another favorite of mine. Whether you pick one of these or stick to your dwarfs, you want either all males or a good ratio of males to females. I believe it is 1/2 M/F ratio.

Rams - I'm sure they would work, I don't know that much about them so I'll let someone else weigh in on this.

Rainbows - see above

Rasboras - Another great fish and a large group of 20 would do the trick.

Tetras - go with the rummies! You can really do a lot with them and see some cool schooling behavior.

Pleco - A gold nugget would be cool and doable.

If you want full control over your PH I would opt for RO/DI water. What you have in your aquarium will also dictate what happens to your PH. Too much driftwood can make it more acidic, while too much calcium can push it up. What is the current PH of your tap water? I know you would rather not use it, but depending on its PH, it might be just fine.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    White clouds require cooler water than the other fish listed.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks all for the input! I was definitely considering using the rodi units but was unsure if it took out needed minerals or something for the fish, my tap water is hard with a high ph more for cichlids somewhere in the high 7 to mid 8 range. I can drop the danios if they need cooler water no problem, and also drop the rainbows. I can look for a few different fish instead. And for the gourami I may consider the moonlights because I want to use black sand substrate.
    I'm just looking for some more colorful fish because I was planning saltwater but don't think I'll have those kinds funds at the moment. Thanks again for the help!

0 Not allowed!
    After reading a little more, I think I have the current changes:

7 Nanus cories
    7 false juli cories
    3 neon blue gouramis 1m 2 f
    20 harlequin rasboras
    20 rummynose tetras
    30 celestial pearl danios
    2 gold nugget plecos

Is this list overstocked ? Should I cut down numbers? This is a little weird planning for freshwater because saltwater is a lot more less room per fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Not overstocked at all, but be advised, the CPD's are tiny, and you may not see much of them in a tank that size.

Do you like cardinal tetras?...you could do a nice big shoal of them in a tank that size...and with rummies, the more the merrier...I'd do 30-35 of them...

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    I do like the cardinals, for some reason I was think you couldn't mix same species.. Must also be the saltwater lol

7 Nanus cories
    7 false juli cories
    3 neon blue gouramis 1m 2 f
    20 harlequin rasboras
    20 rummynose tetras
    30 Cardinal tetras
    2 gold nugget pleco

Now am I stocked appropriately ? Overstocked? Under stocked? Any suggestions on additions ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How are we planning on filtering this big tank?....canisters?

it will be heated, correct?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    I think you could do more cories if you wanted.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast