· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is this normal or...?

0 Not allowed!
    I just introduced this snail to my tank two days ago. For the first day, it just floated on the top of the water. Well, it finally attached to the wall and has remained in this corner of the tank ever since. The problem is, it is leaving this nasty, stringy film in my tank (specifically these suction cups on my heater where it hangs out). In the 10 gallon tank is just 1 betta fish. Is this normal or should I be worried about this snail or my betta?20150628_155709.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming that is a mystery or an apple snail. Not sure why it is doing what it is doing but I don't think it'll hurt your betta.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree, not sure why its so slimy...so you salt the water at all?
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I agree, not sure why its so slimy...so you salt the water at all?
    I've never put salt in my tank... would this help? As long as it's not a sign of a parasite/disease or something then I'm happy!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dattanas632 View Post
    I've never put salt in my tank... would this help? As long as it's not a sign of a parasite/disease or something then I'm happy!
    Do not put salt in your tank with snails. You know how you put salt on a slug and it kills it? Same thing. It was a good question for Boundava to ask since salt is commonly used and would have been a good reason why the snail was leaving a slimy trail. It could very well just be coincidence that what you are seeing on the heater showed up the same time as the snail. I've never seen any of my snails actually leave a slime trail.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Do not put salt in your tank with snails. You know how you put salt on a slug and it kills it? Same thing. It was a good question for Boundava to ask since salt is commonly used and would have been a good reason why the snail was leaving a slimy trail. It could very well just be coincidence that what you are seeing on the heater showed up the same time as the snail. I've never seen any of my snails actually leave a slime trail.
    That's what I figured (with the salt). The snail itself is moving around a lot more recently but last night he had at least an inch and a half of stringy excrement hanging from him. Maybe he's got a weird digestion issue and is just pooping his little brains out?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure. I don't know much about what can go wrong with a snail or how to treat a snail, if you can at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    If there's alot in there for him to eat (algae, old fish food), then yes, he could be pooping more than normal.

How often, how much do you feed the betta?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    If there's alot in there for him to eat (algae, old fish food), then yes, he could be pooping more than normal.

How often, how much do you feed the betta?
    Betta gets 2 or 3 pellets twice a day (morning and night), one day a week he gets a bloodworm snack and one day a week he doesn't get fed at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Does he eat every bit of food each time?

You could cut back to feeding once a day, it would be plenty...fish in the wild don't eat every day.

I feed all 3 of my tnks just once a day, the amount they can eat in a few minutes, and "fast" once a week like you do,
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers