· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Facebook

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think that Facebook etc. is hurting the membership of our old reliable forums such as this one.
    If You Watch Your Fishes Closely, They Will Teach You Something Every Day

Owner/Admin: Aquarium4um.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't know, I don't use facebook anymore.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I've never used FB, but as far as THIS forum is concerned, I believe as active as it is, FB is little to no influence.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Year Award! - Plecos   Have a tetra for sticking around for onw year :) - steeler58   Happy 1 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7   Happy Anniversary! - Knightia   For taking in those pups! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I only use Facebook for business, and don't see a lot of aquarium activity on there. I've looked at pages and groups a few months back, and most were dead or had very little activity.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Most definitely yes. Not only here (I'm new here, can't compare with a previous situation) but nearly in every thematic forum in which I'm involved.

There are lots of aquarium groups in Facebook, general ones, species-specific, regional/city-specific, for trading, for swapping...

Facebook provides faster responses and new generations value that. As a con, it's more volatile and oriented to new posts. You can search but it's nowhere as efficient as a forum (no sub-divisions, etc).

I'm a long time forums user, nearly since vBulletin appeared in the late 90s, but I find myself going to Facebook more and more for quick help and consultations. Forums, however, are unbeatable when searching for specific information: Google has them indexed and you can find excellent information from a number of years. Maybe images and links will be outdated/broken when you go to an old thread from 2009, but the data remains. Facebook can't provide that (not for now at least).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

5 Not allowed!
    for those who do not have facebook. I also do not. I did when I was a Wilton instructor and that was purely for my students. When I stopped teaching, and new I wasn't going to start again I deleted my account permanently. I found it to be the stupidest thing, and other than my students the only request I got were from people with my same last name wanting to friend me. Ok it is an unusual name-but I have no clue who you are and don't want to be your friend

So I can't say if it has hurt attendance, or if they have better aquarium groups. I can imagine the responses are faster-but how much faster can it be than in a forum?
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

6 Not allowed!
    I use what my wife calls my "Fishbook"....the Aquatic Community.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I've seen several other forums that I'm a part of (not fish-related) fall to pieces over the years because of Facebook. A lot of those forums are still there, but the content has gone from hobby discussions to pretty much just classified ads.

Since I'm not "friends" on FB with all of the other members, I never had much of a chance to follow the masses as they moved from the forums to FB. I'm not upset about it, by any means. I didn't care enough to try hunting down other members, and I also did not care enough to search for alternate forums to fill the void.

I maintain a FB account simply for close friends and family. I used to have tons of contacts on my account years ago when I was still in college, but have weeded out my list over the years. Most of the content I use FB for now is pretty much from things like National Geographic and other informative pages. It's also a convenient place for my family and friends to share things like photos/videos, and complain about life's little injustices.

I do find it sad that many forums are disappearing. It's so much easier to have discussions with others when you have dedicated sections for certain issues and the ability to have persistent threads that don't get buried so quickly. On FB, you can start a meaningful discussion, but good luck going back to that particular post after several hours, let alone a weekend, of new activity has flooded your news feed. Also, the level of shared knowledge on most forums far surpasses that of FB. I can go into any section of a forum and read ancient posts and catch up on more recent information. You can't really do that on FB due to the sheer amount of random and useless information that flows through it on a daily basis.

I have noticed, however, that there ARE still good forums out there that maintain a dedicated base of members who keep them alive. Although I've only been a part of the AC for several months, it appears that this is one of those that have been around for years and will continue to last. At least, I HOPE it will last. The members here are very helpful, and the forum does carry with it a strong sense of community in which the members have formed close bonds with each other over the years. I hope that I am fortunate enough to get a similar opportunity with you all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I only use Facebook for business, and don't see a lot of aquarium activity on there. I've looked at pages and groups a few months back, and most were dead or had very little activity.
    I've noticed that AC's own FB page also has quite a bit of cobwebs that need to be dusted off. That being said, I don't really feel like it is necessary for AC to maintain much of a presence on FB; the members seem to have no problem sharing information/photos/videos here without needing to rely on FB.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a few more tetra's ;-) - steeler58   Thank you for the rep :D - afro123   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it most certainly does hurt forums.
    There are so many aquarium groups on FB, and all they have to do is click join rather than go through a registration, and that's more convenient for them. Unfortunately, many of those groups don't give out good info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast