· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

Question Ammonia at 0 but now Algae Bloom

0 Not allowed!
    I received a lot of advice the last time I had a question concerning Cycling a tank and having a Bacterial Bloom. I was told to wait it out and do daily water changes. I did this and the water cleared up and man it was looking beautiful! I was checking the ammonia everyday and then doing it every two days to make sure that there was not a spike of ammonia coming back. Luckily the ammonia levels were at 0 :) . Which made me happy until I got a 20 gallon tank to make a Betta Sorority and noticed that my 30 Gallon was looking a lot darker in light than my new tank. Then thats when I realized there were little bits of algae on the sides of the tank and the water had turned a green tint. I thought maybe it was because the tank was not in direct light, but close to a window so I moved it across the room. I refilled it with new water and eventually added my fish back in. It was looking really good for a few days and then returned to normal. I've seen some people saying that the algae is just part of the cycling? Is this true? What should I do to get rid of these not so nice looking green tint? Thank you for any response.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

4 Not allowed!
    Algae is not part of cycling, a bacterial bloom often is, but algae is because there is enough light and nutrients in the water for algae to grow. Changing more water more often, vacuuming the gravel, and cleaning the filter regularly all will help get rid of the algae. You could also plant more real plants to out-compete the algae for nutrients in the water.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Neon for your losses :( - steeler58   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishkeeper4   

0 Not allowed!
    Any luck with getting rid of the algae bloom?