· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

Default Still don't understand

0 Not allowed!
    So the last time I posted my nitrates were in sane all the fish died except fore the Molly, was doing constant water changes and got the nitrates down to 20-40 and the one molly was holding on. Went to the pet store and got a female Molly and three tiger barbs, drip acclimated the fish before putting them in the tank. They were fine but I knew I was getting a bigger and I really should have waited. Anyway I now how a 29 gallon tank and three filters, the one from the old tank, the one from the new tank and an underwater, one radican sword and one amazon sword plant and just the gravel, keeping it very simple, plan to add some rocks and more plants. HOwever the water parameters are great, PH6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 10-20. 75 degrees water temp. . The mollies are fine. All the tiger barbs died, one before the move one after the move and the other today just don't get it. I am wondering if the lfs has sick fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt it. They wouldn't stay in business long if they always sold weak and/or sick fish. One shipment maybe, but not all the fish.
    What are the pH/GH/KH of your tap, your tank, and the LFS? My guess is there is a difference.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Hmmm that is troubling and frustrating. I'm sorry for your losses. This may not have anything to do with anything, but I've always acclimated my fish by floating the bag and adding just a bit of tank water every 15 minutes or so before netting the fish and adding them to the tank. The reason I don't like the drip acclimation method is that you lose temperature. I've never been able to keep the water the fish are in the same temp as the water the tank is at. So yes the fish get used to the parameters of your water, but not your tank temperature and can get shocked once added to the tank. Really just an hypothesis of mine because I know the drip method is a popular one and people do have success with it. I just feel more comfortable with the floating method.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips I know from previous test of mu water that the ph and ammonia is pretty high. so I let my water sit with the prime before I add it to the tank. The reason my nitrates shot up was because I had and algae problem and added a pleco and another algae eater and the tank was too small. I always consult the forum before buying new fish and I didn't the LFS suggested them. My tank was too small. I know better now .. hindsight is always 20/20...I am still learning

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

3 Not allowed!
    Nitrate itself won't kill fish, there were other issues going on (sounds like you have an idea of that now).

At the end of the day sometimes we just don't know. There can be no good reason for fish to die, and they will anyways. All we can do is focus on our care. The two most important things that we have the most control over are the quality of the food and water. In my experience New Life Spectrum is by far the best food on the market. Water quality comes down to doing big frequent water changes. Water changes should be every week and 25% bare minimum, ideally 50% or more. Step up to this, don't just jump in to water changes that are much larger than usual (if you aren't used to them it's too easy to mess up temp or something).

As for acclimating, this is based on years acclimating fish at home and at a local fish store: Acclimating Fish
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.