· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fishy to get started... - Slaphppy7   

Smile Polyester batting for filter media?

1 Not allowed!
    Can anyone be so kind as to tell me what kind of batting is good for filters? I've have bought "Low Loft Quilter's Polyester Batting" I read a post in one of Slap's many threads about using this but I can't remember what kind exactly it was and I can not find it again. I have searched everywhere but I still can't locate it! lol Thanks in advance for any help that is given, and I will check back much later as I have to share this laptop! the "other" Cindy:
    Last edited by cynsnn; 06-05-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: 2 things needed fixing

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I use 100% poly fill, As long as it is polyester and you can get good water movement through it you should be good to go. However since it is so dense and will trap quite a lot of debris I only put it in my filter after a water change. Everything gets stirred up and it is a good way to clean all that stuff out. I leave it in for a few hours, might even let it stay over night. But then I throw it away. It isn't good for long term use.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

1 Not allowed!
    keep away from any brands that say "mold/mildew resistant" and "fire retardant". they may contain harmful chemicals.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I use it instead of sponges in my HOB filters...stays in a week, gets tossed and a fresh piece added after each weekly WC.

As long as you buy 100% poly with no added mildew resistant chemicals or anything, you'll be fine.

This is the exact stuff I got from Wally World, nice sized roll, will last a long time:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-E...-x-96/17808679
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fishy to get started... - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    This is the same stuff I bought, except I got a small bag cause I wasn't sure if that was it or not! Same brand and everything I will have to put it in the dryer on the fluff cycle to make it "loftier". lol Thanks for all the responses and I hope everyone has a great weekend. Cindy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    You may not want to put it the dryer as there might be chemical residue from detergent and fabric softener that would transfer to the batting and be harmful to your fish. Just use your fingers to pull some apart to make it fluffier before adding to your filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed, don't do anything to it, use it right out of the bag...the layers are fairly thin, you can double the layer if you wish, but I don't....one layer works just fine, as long as you change it out weekly.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Slap, do you think this would work in a canister, where it's only changed once a month instead of every week, or is that too much time?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Goldie, if might the Marineland c220 I have has a percut polish pad the is formed to the canister. But your eheim is different. Is there a part that goes over the media before the pump housing? If not you might want to put something over it to prevent it from getting sucked in to the impeller. Like a needle point sheet. That is with the loose polyester pillow material. Oh and in the marine land one month is fine.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Slap, do you think this would work in a canister, where it's only changed once a month instead of every week, or is that too much time?
    Not brave enough to try that yet, lol...I sometimes go as long as 6 weeks between Eheim cleanings, not sure how well the floss would hold up for that long...I still use the sponge in my Eheim

Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    Goldie, if might the Marineland c220 I have has a percut polish pad the is formed to the canister. But your eheim is different. Is there a part that goes over the media before the pump housing? If not you might want to put something over it to prevent it from getting sucked in to the impeller. Like a needle point sheet. That is with the loose polyester pillow material. Oh and in the marine land one month is fine.
    There is a "polishing pad" that is the last part of the Eheim filter system the water travels through before hitting the pump head, but I don't use it...just the initial sponge, and a bunch (3 bags) of ceramic media is all I keep in my canister...works great, water stays clear.