· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I use this in my sumps and bucket filters. Works great as long as you keep rinsing it as part of routine maintenance.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Aeon, I find it to be inexpensive enough when bought in bulk that I can just use a new piece each week after a WC.

Do I lose a wee bit of BB?...probably...but I overfilter my tanks, and fill all filters as full of ceramic media that I can....so the bacteria loss is negligible...I've done this for a good while now, with excellent results.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Slap, I want to use this instead of the white "polishing pad" sponge the eheim has, in addition to the coarse blue sponge.

Aeon, how long do you think I could go between rinses? Right now I rinse my canister sponge once a month. The thing is, over time, no matter how well I rinse it, stuff accumulates inside. I can never get it thoroughly clean, even under hot tap water. I'm thinking if i had the pillow batting, I'd just toss it every month and put in a new one, but I'm concerned it might not hold for a full month. Otoh, you can buy the eheim sponges on eBay for less than $1.50 each shipped, so I guess replacing them every three months isn't such a big deal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Mine stays pretty clean for a while since I use sponge prefilters on the outflow to the sump and my pump intakes to catch the big stuff. The batting is mainly for polishing.

Without the prefilters, a couple weeks of using the batting on a a big cichlid tank is fine. Not hard to rinse either.

I've actually tried something where I covered the drip tray to my sump with a thick layer of java moss. It traps debris, acts like a nutrient sponge, and is easy to rinse. Stays pretty healthy too.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 06-07-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Slap, I want to use this instead of the white "polishing pad" sponge the eheim has, in addition to the coarse blue sponge.
    Heck, try it and see what happens...can't hurt, it's pretty much the same material physically, and much cheaper

If you are so inclined, try 2 weeks instead of a month to see what happens...break down the canister and have a look.

In my experience, the more plant matter you have, the gunkier the floss will get in a shorter amount of time.

Fish poo is one thing, decaying plant matter is something totally different, filter wise.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Worth a try. I'm also getting to find cheap sponges. If I can find them for a dollar each or so, I may just replace mine every three months.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I still have my original sponge in my ac 30. Two years later. Not white any more but works just fine. And a friend is still on the original sponges in his canister, a year later with African chiclids.

What would keep the fiber out of the impeller housing?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post

What would keep the fiber out of the impeller housing?
    The fact that it is "batting" and not just loose fibers.

Sort of like a cotton ball rolled out into a pad.

And if you think about the way the AC filters work, the batting is pushed against, not sucked through, with the water flow direction, just like the sponge, so no concern with the floss getting tangled with the impeller.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 06-08-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fishy to get started... - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Hi just got a chance to check back on this thread, lots of good info! thanks people! I'm glad I'm lazy and didn't put any in the dryer! Was going to put the whole bag in the dryer but decided to just rinse a small piece. Once again laziness saved me! lol Thanks again for all the good info I've gotten from this forum Cindy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You are welcome, Cindy...just remember, the batting goes in the bottom of the basket, then media on top of the batting...I don't even rinse the batting, I just use it straight out of the bag, with no issues.