· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Albino Oscar has had tail fins chewed nearly off

0 Not allowed!
    My new Albino Oscar had his tail chewed on over night, so I got a breeder net to separate him and feed him directly. My main question is, will his tail fin grow back if he gets healthy eating habits and time to heal?

I'm new to this forum and cant seem to find the answers in the search criteria, so I apologize if this is redundant to this forum.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    As long as the damage isn't to bad fins will usually grow back. You have to keep the water extra clean or infection will set in.
    My question is what are you going to do when the oscar heals, put him back in the same situation that got his fins nipped off overnight?
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Your biggest concern right now is fungal infections. This can happen in a matter of hours, and spreads rapidly. As mommy1 said, clean water is imperative. How big is the fish? What tankmates does it live with?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Currently his tail is nearly down to the skin in some spots. Maybe 1/16" at minimum. I could move him to my other tank but there are some nippers there also. Currently His tank mates include a black convict, firemouth and 2 jewel cichlids, all are smaller than him. I have one Tiger Oscar that is slightly larger at approx. 2.5 inches. (Albino is about 2") I have 3 Bala sharks 2 Chinese algae eaters and one clown loach. I'm sure it was the smaller cichlids as the Tiger paid the Albino absolutely no attention. Water is super clean and the Albino is eating well, on dried worms and a frozen cube food that he gets a small chunk of in the evening. He seems ok, and I'm prepared to try to get him bigger quicker than his tank mates, hopefully to detour this from happening again. Thanks for the thoughts!

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank you got there? That stocking is going to prove tricky as they all grow out.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Its a 55 std. I wanted an aggressive tank, I think I've got it. I can see that the Albino is already starting to regrow his tail fin. So I will keep him separated for a while, and possibly move him to my other tank also a 55 but Its not as aggressive. That tank has 3 black skirts, 2 cherry barbs, one platy, 2 clown loaches, 2 neons, couple of tiny catfish, one good size redtail shark and a Pleco.

1 Not allowed!
    One single oscar all by itself should really have a 75 to itself, they grow fast, eat a ton and poo even more.. very messy and very prone to hith/hlle depending on who you listen too. You're not going to win like this.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Picked up another used tank today off of Craigslist, hella cheap. Will be cleaning the hard water stains and sorting thru all the equipment that came with the tank to see what is useable and what needs replaced. Its approx. 55 gallons but a tall tank not as deep as my other 55. This will be my new home for my 2" Albino Oscar. Thanks for all the information gang!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like the best idea for the albino. They're a pretty nice looking fish.