· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Fancy goldfish are great :D - Xavier   

Default Considering fancy goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    My comets are off to a friends pond next week so I am thinking of using the tank for fancy goldfish. I've never kept fancies before so wondered are there any I shouldn't mix?
    I definitely want a black moor so I am looking for 2 more that would share a tank with it. The tank is 180 litre. Filtration is by two fluval 405 external filters.

Thanks,
    Brian.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for the patience - Lady Hobbs   and a mate - Lady Hobbs   Seems fitting that you should recive the first one - William   I love Goldfish! - Xavier   something for the fish to snack on - korith   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Xavier   

5 Not allowed!
    I divide goldfish into 3 tiers:
    1- single-tailed goldfish (comets)
    2- Double-tailed Fancy goldfish (most breeds)
    3- Extremely fancy goldfish (Celestials, some pearlscales, sight restricted ranchus/lionheads/orandas)

You want to avoid mixing any of these tiers. Dragon eyes, or black moors are tier 2, so most other fancy types should be fine. Keep in mind that you want them to be able to feed easily, hence needing to avoid goldfish with sight issues. Young ranchus, lionheads and orandas see fine, but depending on genes, they can develop huge wens that block their eyes. Either get them young, or get some that are old enough that you can tell their wen won't be an issue.

Keep in mind that you don't want too many sharp objects in the tank, since fancy goldfish aren't as nimble and sometimes have protruding eyes :D
    I groom ranchus. That is all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    How big is your tank? Even fancy gold fish will need a larger tank due to their eventual size and large bioload.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    How big is your tank? Even fancy gold fish will need a larger tank due to their eventual size and large bioload.
    Hi the tank is 180 litre. Filtration is by two fluval 405 external filters.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I divide goldfish into 3 tiers:
    1- single-tailed goldfish (comets)
    2- Double-tailed Fancy goldfish (most breeds)
    3- Extremely fancy goldfish (Celestials, some pearlscales, sight restricted ranchus/lionheads/orandas)

You want to avoid mixing any of these tiers. Dragon eyes, or black moors are tier 2, so most other fancy types should be fine. Keep in mind that you want them to be able to feed easily, hence needing to avoid goldfish with sight issues. Young ranchus, lionheads and orandas see fine, but depending on genes, they can develop huge wens that block their eyes. Either get them young, or get some that are old enough that you can tell their wen won't be an issue.

Keep in mind that you don't want too many sharp objects in the tank, since fancy goldfish aren't as nimble and sometimes have protruding eyes :D
    Thanks appreciate the detailed reply!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    At that size of a tank I would say two goldfish max. I may need correction on this. When you first get them, that may seem like a small number for the size of the tank, but those suckers will still get pretty big. Again it isn't just the physical size of the fish, but the large bioload that needs to be taken into consideration.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    At about 47.6 gallons you may be pushing it with 2 moors, 55 gallons (200+ liters) would be better because of their high bioload. The double 405 filters may make it possible since it states they filter 340 gph. How many comets did you have in the tank before? Also are you going to let the tank sit for any period of time before adding fish (this may impact the BB you have in the filter right now).
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    At that size of a tank I would say two goldfish max. I may need correction on this. When you first get them, that may seem like a small number for the size of the tank, but those suckers will still get pretty big. Again it isn't just the physical size of the fish, but the large bioload that needs to be taken into consideration.
    I would be quite happy with a couple in there. I am sure the two externals I have would handle the bioload of a couple of fancies as they are quite powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    At about 47.6 gallons you may be pushing it with 2 moors, 55 gallons (200+ liters) would be better because of their high bioload. The double 405 filters may make it possible since it states they filter 340 gph. How many comets did you have in the tank before? Also are you going to let the tank sit for any period of time before adding fish (this may impact the BB you have in the filter right now).
    I had two in there. The pic below was before I removed the built in filter on the right hand side and added a second fluval 405. I hadn't planned to wait very long. Just do a water change on the day the comets leave and then pick up the fancies within a day or two.

Last edited by deadmansfinger; 06-03-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, how big did those guys get?

I like your tank, nicely scaped for goldfish. Love the little boulders.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks they seem to like it!

The yellow comet is around 8". The sarasa comet is maybe 6" but a lot more slender. I have another red comet in a 30 gallon in the kitchen. She's got to be 9"+ as the last time I had her out to move her she was bigger than my hand. I couldn't get a good pic of her because of the light reflection.

It's definitely time for them to go to a pond. My friend has an 8'x4'x4' pond with goldfish in it, some are 15 years old so they are going to a good home.
    Last edited by deadmansfinger; 06-03-2015 at 06:11 PM.