· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacterial Bloom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question Bacterial Bloom

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry if you see this type of question a lot but I have had a lot of problems with getting clear water in my fish tank. I have a 29 gallon with 2 angelfish and two Silver Dollar Fish. I have been using sand as my substrate and so I thought that my cloudiness problem was because of the sand. So I kept doing water changes and trying to clean out the sand. I made a post about this in the beginners freshwater fish tank forum. They told me that I should look into cycling my tank. So I looked into it. I found out that my water had tons of chlorine and other chemicals that were not allowing bacteria to grow like it needed to. I went to my local pet store and bought some chlorine neutralizer and I also bought some preset powder that would make the tank ph to 7.0. I did about a 75% water change and added the neutralizer. Now that the bacteria can properly grow, there is a huge bacterial bloom in progress. My question is what to do? I have heard two suggestions, This is just part of the cycle and I should just wait it out for a few weeks and do about a 10% water change a week or I'm going to need to clean my tank out again. What would your suggestion be? I also just wanted to say that there are a lot of fish forums out there and I'm glad I picked this one. It has a really nice community who are very helpful. Any response if very appreciate :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    First off, do not alter your PH. Your are spending money on something that is not necessary to cycle a tank. The nitrifying bacteria work optimally with a PH above 7.0. Seachem Prime as a water conditioner is all that you will need during a fish in cycle process. It will remove chlorine and chloramines. It will temporarily protect your fish from ammonia and nitrite poisoning for at least 24 hours.

Next, you need a liquid test kit if you don't already have it. Whenever, ammonia or nitrites hit 0.5ppm, you need to do a 50% water change to keep the fish safe from ammonia and nitrite poisoning. Until you get the test kit, you need to do 50% water changes everyday to keep the fish safe.

The white bacteria bloom is not harmful to fish as long as there is enough water agitation. This same bacteria will compete with the fish for oxygen in the water. If your fish gasp, do a water change and increase aeration of the tank like add another filter or airstone.

What filters do you have?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Tetra Whisper 60

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

4 Not allowed!
    As you get funds, I would advise in getting another filter like a Aquaclear to run at the same time. This will make sure that you have enough biological filtration in the tank.

What I don't like about the Whisper is that if you throw out the filter cartridges, you are reducing your bacteria population by 50% every time you change it. I would keep the black bio-foam and replace the Bio-bag fiber with ceramic media (fluval bio-max or Seachem matrix) in a media bag.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok. So if I do a 50% water change every time the nitrate reaches 0.5ppm will the water eventually stop being cloudy?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Eventually the population of heterotrophic bacteria (white cloud) will go down as a result of the water changes reducing its food source, which is organic waste in the water, substrate, and filters.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    When I do the water change should I add chlorine neutralizer?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, if your tap water only has chlorine, you should add chlorine neutralizer either in the bucket first, or in the tank first. When putting in the tank, use enough to cover 29 gallons.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I made all those mistakes when I tried cycling my 10g lol First mistake was replacing filter, second mistake was not dehlorinating my tap. Took me longer to cycle my 10g than it did my 29 hahaha

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I had a mess up :( . I was doing a water change because the ammonia levels raised. While I was putting a new bucket of water in the tank the filter turned off. It was plugged in and I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and it didn't work. I took the top off the filter and lifted one of the bio-bags and it worked again. Then I put it back and it just tossed a whole bunch of cloudy bacteria back into the tank. So we're back to stage one... I turned up the filter so I could get some oxygen to the fish. Will speeding up the filter make the process faster or hinder it?
    Last edited by waylon101; 05-29-2015 at 05:48 AM.