· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

Question Changing Filters on a Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Ok Idk if this is where I should post this let me know if it would be better somewhere else. So I have a 3 gallon desk aquarium that has some shrimp, a guppy and two neon tetras in it, my question is I want to get rid of the internal whisper filter and get an HOB filter with a pre-filter sponge on the intake to keep from sucking up the shrimp, to make a little space for more plants. What would be the best way to go about switching I found the perfect on on amazon its a fennix pf-5 and I was just going to take the old cartridge I have now and put it in the new filter when I got it but it won't fit in the fennix. I also thought about running them both for about a week to maybe "seed" the new filter Idk.

Thanks in advance.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Or would I be better off going with a small sponge filter?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If you can put all the old media from your old filter in it do so as any spikes in ammonia ect will more then likely kill the shrimp.

Or you could run both filters till new one is cycled squeeze your foams from old filter ect into the new one to help seed it :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

1 Not allowed!
    what i would do, unless you can't afford it is get a bigger tank so that you can expand the tetra school out and perhaps rehome the guppy. Tetra's are happiest in a school of at least six to eight minimum.

This way you can get more filtration and a bigger tank.

Otherwise do what is advised already because they are correct that the old media will help season a new filter.

20 gal tall - Helios - HM Betta Male (obtained around 03/2016), 1 zebra nerite, 8-10 cherry shrimp, 1-2 amano shrimp, Java Moss and crypto planted tank w/ Driftwood and Spider Wood

l

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    3 gallons is much too small for any group of fish...I wouldn't even keep a single betta in a 3 gallon tank, like we discussed in your other thread....very hard to control water params in a tank that small.

What does the media in the internal filter consist of?

I really can't see how any HOB filter would work with a 3 gallon tank..I'd bet you'd get way too much water movement and turbulence....you're probably better off keeping the filter you already have.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC - Slaphppy7   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   This one's on me... - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Any HOB filter is going to generate a lot of current/turbulence in a tank that small. I have to agree with slap on this one.
    36 GAL South American Journal

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I decided to go with a small sponge filter and a small pump. I understand that 3 gallons is pretty small but it is being well maintained and all living things (plants, fish and shrimp) are doing very well. I am testing the water every other day and all the parameters are stable. The only reason I am looking into changing filters is to gain swimming space and space to plant. Thanks for all the advice. I attached pictures of what I bought.

Pump.jpg
    filter.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC - Slaphppy7   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   This one's on me... - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Interesting. Let us know how it works out?
    36 GAL South American Journal

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Ok so some updates on my nano tank. My guppy unfortunately died, I believe it was due to stress I found him lodged under the piece of driftwood I have it there. I rearranged everything in the aquarium to make room for my new sponge filter and so far I'm LOVING it. The water parameters are perfect and look better than it did with the whisper The cartridge wasn't doing anything it was so old. I seeded the sponge filter by taking some of the water from the tank and putting it into a plastic container and swishing the old cartridge around till I got muddy brown water and then place the sponge filter in there and ran it for a couple of days and them put it into the tank and it worked perfect. I bought a couple neons Im hoping with my weekly WC I can get five in there happy. I also bought a few new plants and I think it looks great now.

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice little tank!...sorry to hear about the guppy, though
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers