· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by philthy View Post
    G'day, Bobbi-J

I promise that'll be the only rhyme today.

Heres a couple quick thoughts - Are you using any kind of nutrient rich substrate? - if you only have gravel at the bottom there may just be a general lack of nutrients for your plant roots. - One of my tanks wasnt taking well to plants until after I left the tank alone for a couple months, had half the water evaporate off as well as 30 odd guppies die off and decompose in the tank. I honestly believe this tank apocalypse provided much needed nutrients to the plants in the tank - maybe you have a fish-soul deficiency in your tank. If you do indeed have a lack of nutrient rich substrate - I'd consider adding a few root tabs to your gravel - something I've recently done in my tank to assist my plants growth - root tabs are a rich source of nutrients and each tab contains roughly 60% fish souls to help your tank grow!

Another idea - from Philthy's Abstract Aquarium Articles - Is to plant your tank with Ambulia until the only thing you see in your tank is Ambulia. Ambulia here, Ambulia there. Everywhere Ambulia. Let it grow and cut it and plant it and let it grow again - It'll grow so quick you wont know what to do. Once your tank is full of ambulia and you're finally sick of the mere sight of the darned plant. take out half of it - and replant it with something you actually want to grow. From my experience, (not based on any real scientific evidence I'm aware of) The Ambulia sorta prepares your substrate for other plants - kind of like how Hemp crops reduce soil toxicity. IMO - Ambulia should be everyones starting plant in a new tank.

Thirdly(?) I know I see a lot of people saying to cut off dead leaves - and in my early days I did this - and in my early days I did this wrong. When I added my first plants I ended up cutting most leaves that looked crappy - the problem is I ended up shaving most leaves off of the plant - I cut off waaay too much. Nowadays I dont cut off many leaves at all. The analogy I like to use is this - imagine leaves are solar panels. your solar panels on the roof get dirty and covered in crap - maybe you have part of a solar panel thats encrusted with dry salt or something since you live near the beach. do you A) Let the solar panel do its thing - atleast youre still getting 50% of the potential energy. or B) Do you ditch the whole panel because of one area thats not working properly? I let my plants do their thing - even when struggling. In a tank with nice parameters even dodgy leaves will live and contribute to plant health for much longer than you'd expect.

I know people dont agree with my take on aquarium keeping, but if Jurassic Park has taught us anything, it's that "life finds a way"

Best of luck and don't give up!
    Thank you Philthy! As soon as I can locate an ambulia, I will try it. And I will leave the dead leaves on the plants. I was kind of concerned about nitrates, but if I keep up with water changes, that shouldn't be a problem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice tanks and set-up! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    No worries - In my experience Ambulia has been the easiest to grow, even in ponds on cold water tanks.

Nitrates and Phosphates are definitely a concern - as higher levels lead to algae growth - but at the same time their needed for plant growth so you don't want a lack of either. I can't remember where I found this info but I wrote down notes on water parameters once upon a time, and I've written that you want a ratio between 10 and 20 Nitrates:1 Phosphate - so between 10:1 and 20:1 - And I'm not sure whether it was recommended or just my own idea but I've written that I need to aim for 10ppm Nitrates and 0.5ppm Phosphates. In saying all that, I don't have a test kit for Phosphates and my Nitrates are usually a little higher than 10ppm so don't go crazy trying to create the garden of eden with perfect water parameters

But yeah - try Ambulia or Cabomba (I can't tell them apart) Whatever it is in my tank, it grows like a weed

Link your Journal - and if you dont have one, you should start one - I'd love to see some before and after pics

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Its ambulia most likely. Cabomba grows like a weed in the right conditions but has more requirements. The easiest way to tell them apart is cabomba has two opposing fan shaped leaves while ambulia has 4 or 6 originating from each location along the stem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ah yes, then it is Ambulia, Thanks dwarfguy
    Freshwater Artisan and Saltwater Amateur

AC Journal Started Jan 2014 - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115922

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnx...BazK6M_V548q6A

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ah yes, then it is Ambulia, Thanks dwarfguy

AC Journal Started Jan 2014 - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115922

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by philthy View Post
    No worries - In my experience Ambulia has been the easiest to grow, even in ponds on cold water tanks.

Nitrates and Phosphates are definitely a concern - as higher levels lead to algae growth - but at the same time their needed for plant growth so you don't want a lack of either. I can't remember where I found this info but I wrote down notes on water parameters once upon a time, and I've written that you want a ratio between 10 and 20 Nitrates:1 Phosphate - so between 10:1 and 20:1 - And I'm not sure whether it was recommended or just my own idea but I've written that I need to aim for 10ppm Nitrates and 0.5ppm Phosphates. In saying all that, I don't have a test kit for Phosphates and my Nitrates are usually a little higher than 10ppm so don't go crazy trying to create the garden of eden with perfect water parameters

But yeah - try Ambulia or Cabomba (I can't tell them apart) Whatever it is in my tank, it grows like a weed

Link your Journal - and if you dont have one, you should start one - I'd love to see some before and after pics
    Well, I will look for ambulia, then! Thank you so much for the information! When I get a chance to start a journal, I will do so. I tried to load pictures awhile back, but couldn't make it work. I'll have to try again one of these days.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi-j View Post
    Well, I will look for ambulia, then! Thank you so much for the information! When I get a chance to start a journal, I will do so. I tried to load pictures awhile back, but couldn't make it work. I'll have to try again one of these days.

No worries mate! I'm keen to see what you have set up, try using the basic uploader - its the only way I can upload pics

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Something I just realized that should be mentioned in this thread is that ambulia ( limnophila sessiflora anyway) is prohibited in the USA.