· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hoping your angelfish gets better - Silbar   

Default Any specific brand of fish flakes for freshwater fish better than the other?

0 Not allowed!
    Trying to find the best bang for the buck here and was curious on what type of flakes everyone here prefers for their freshwater fish?

I have a mix of guppies, platys, loaches in a 55g and 20g. I know of the Tetramin Tropical Fish flakes, but is there a specific place anyone here gets it from to get the best deal on?

The other one I came across is a Ken's Premium fish food flakes. I don't want to cheap out that much if the tetra min fish flakes is better for my fish healthwise. Thoughts? Ingredients listed below.

http://www.amazon.com/Kens-Premium-T...ds=fish+flakes

Main Ingredients: salmon meal, brewers dried yeast, soy flour. Oat flour, corn gluten meal, shrimp meal, dried plankton, dried spirulina algae, dried kelp, lecithin, vitamin supplements a, d3, b12, biotin, thiamine (source of vitamin b1), natural colloring, ascorobic acid ( source of vitamin c). Dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation

Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein 44.0% min., crude fat 9.0%min., crude fiber 1.2% max., moisture 9.0% max. All natural ingredients. No preservatives.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard good things about kens, however, I've never tried it myself. Omega one offers community flakes that are pretty good.
    New life spectrum (probably one of the best if not the best fish food) specializes in pellets of all sizes, but I think that they also have flakes by now.
    However, I can certainly tell you that tetra food is on the low end as far as fish food quality goes, so an upgrade would certainly help your fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed a wide variety so I cannot honestly recommend one food over the other. Brands I currently use are New Life Spectrum, TetraMin, TetraPro, FishScience, Hikari, and Sera.

That probably doesn't answer your question sorry. I've no idea if there are any publically available journals on this kind of thing. I do wonder if people have ever trialed them side by side to see which seems to provide the best nutrition for particular species.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Not allway possible but I am a big fan of making my own frozen food. Then you know exactly what they get and can choose quality ingredients. It is usually cheaper than buying food.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I use kens premium stuff, but I recommend buying it direct from kensfish.com, probably cheaper that way

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I have used Kens and NLS for a while now, both flake and pellet for both marine and freshwater. My fish seam to like them both
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed Omega One Color Flakes together with Omega One Kelp Flakes, once weekly. And NLS small fish pellets, also once a week. My fish love them.

I also got a sample jar of Zoo Med Spirulina Flakes at my first aquarium club meeting. My fish went CRAZY for them. I will be buying more when this jar is finished to feed weekly with my frozen spirulina/brine shrimp.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have used Kens and NLS for a while now, both flake and pellet for both marine and freshwater. My fish seam to like them both

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed NLS Cichlid or Grow pellets (depending on the size of the fish) as a staple diet, occasionally Ken's premium veggie flake w/spirulina or french cut canned green beans for variety, and frozen bloodworms for my spiny eels once weekly. I keep a wide variety pf fisjm from cichlids to various catfish and pleco's, loaches, and silver dollars. They all get the same diet, all grow and most spawn on.

^^^Please click on the eggs/dragons, thank you!^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Not allway possible but I am a big fan of making my own frozen food. Then you know exactly what they get and can choose quality ingredients. It is usually cheaper than buying food.
    Sorry to open an older thread but I'm interested in how you make your own frozen food.