· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default About to set up my first tank: critique wanted

1 Not allowed!
    Hello! Greetings to you all. I have been thinking about getting an aquarium for a couple years now and have been doing a lot of research. I garden indoors for a living so I am very familiar with water chemistry, the importance of keeping water within given parameters, and how to adjust ph, nitrates, etc. I also have a ton of house plants that I am very successful in keeping. I figure the next step in building my indoor nature preserve is a small freshwater aquarium. I think I have decided on what I want, but I may be packing too many fish into the tank I plan on getting. Here's my idea, followed by my questions:
    TankTop Fin 20 gallon. It comes with 1 t-5 bulb built in, which should be plenty of light without a ton of heat
    Filter: Nat-Geo PF20
    Heater
    I would like to do a mix of sand and gravel (60:40?).
    Livestock: 4 African Dwarf Frogs, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 otocinclus cats, and a female betta.
    My plan is to get the tank, set it all up, and let it cycle, add a couple plants after a couple days (Anubias and Java moss on driftwood), and then begin adding fish over the next couple months.
    Question 1: is this too many fish for a 20gal?
    Question 2: I know I should add the betta last (I have a five gal emergency tank for her if things don't go well), but in what order should the others be added?
    Question 3: is there anything I'm missing, or do you have any other advice?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - steeler58   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Those goldfish are lucky they've met you. - Slaphppy7   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC! Always nice to see someone take up the hobby.
    I do not think you will be overstocked with what you have listed. The only problem might be the betta. Biggest concern would be the ADF's. I have heard of some keeping bettas with them successfully but there are stories where this scenario turned out bad for the frogs. Be prepared to feed the frogs with a turkey baster or the like. They have terrible eyesight and therefore are out competed for food by the fish. I am not familiar with the filter you listed but most here will recommend a filter for at least 2x the filtration needed for the tank. Are you planning to do a fishless cycle? This is a much faster means to get the job done and it's also much better for your stock. I'm sure others will chime in as well.. looking forward to seeing your tank come to life!
    DM's 20g high - journal

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the rapid reply! I do plan on doing a fish less cycle to get started. And the ADF/betta relationship is the one I worry most about. From what I've read adding the betta last and using a female will minimalize the risk of her being aggressive towards them. I also have seen a couple people who feed their frogs in little plates. The frogs eventually get to where they go straight to these stations for food which makes cleanup and feeding as easy as can be.
    Thanks for the heads up on the filter! I'll plan on getting a 40 gal instead. The NatGeos, as I understand are simply repackaged and remarketed Eheim (sp?) filters. They seem well reviewed and are nearly silent (when not dysfunctional out of box).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    If you return the natgeo filter take a look at the fuval aquaclear 50 filter. This line of filters are great. And are recommended by many here. Plus your can water your plants with old fish tank water. No waste.

Also hi and welcome to AC.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - steeler58   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Those goldfish are lucky they've met you. - Slaphppy7   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    My son has a 10g with 2 ADF's and 3 guppies. I tried giving the frogs their food on a small saucer to give them a consistent feeding spot but the guppies quickly demolished the plan. They gobbled up the frogs pellets before the poor frogs even knew that food had entered the tank! Now I mix a small amount of tank water and frog pellets until the food sinks. Then I suck it up with an eyedropper and squirt the contents in the frogs face.. Lol. The guppies still get some but so do the ADFs.
    FYI.. a female betta does not guarantee less aggression. In fact, some females are pretty scary! I have my male betta with glowlight tetras and while he does chase them from time to time, they are much too fast for him. ADFs are not fast and are actually very poor swimmers. Every betta, male or female, has its own unique personality.. which is why I love them so much. But, there's always going to be a risk. Adding them last may help so plan for that but I would have the 5g up and ready.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    If you return the natgeo filter take a look at the fuval aquaclear 50 filter. This line of filters are great. And are recommended by many here. Plus your can water your plants with old fish tank water. No waste.
    Luckily I haven't purchased anything yet so I'll check out the fuval when I go shopping. Is it possible to have to big of a filter? That'd be 30 more than my planned tank.

@darkmerlin: I do have my five gallon that I will have ready in case she's a fighter. My plan is to see if the shop owner has noticed any being more relaxed and hoping for the best.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes sir. I have both a Ac 50 and AC20 on a 20 gallon long. I don't thing you will have a problem with to much water movement.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    The nice thing about the AC filters is that you can adjust the flow. I have 2 AC 50's on my 29g. That's more than triple the needed filtration and the fish do not have a problem with the current.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice. Good info to have. Does your son feed the frogs daily, Merlin?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylyp View Post
    Nice. Good info to have. Does your son feed the frogs daily, Merlin?
    I feed them and yes, it's daily. Although, we went away for a week and my neighbor fed them every other day.
    DM's 20g high - journal