· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Slap in the instructions did it list a conversion factor? Or what it measures? Ie. KCI or NACI.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I din't read the instructions...does anybody?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I have a TDS meter...can you elaborate on dtermining, GH, please?

When you measure tap water with a TDS meter, it is practically "cleaned " of many things by the water company to make it safe and drinkable. The only things left in the water is typically minerals. See the link below..

http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is

http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is?id=0004
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-16-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the links
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    If you need to mess with the chemistry the best way is to put some crushed coral in the filter.

As for the sand the only one I trust is Estes Marine Sand (aka Stoney River and Ultra Reef). It won't mess with your pH/KH, but it is very uniform, the perfect size, doesn't require any cleaning before or after it goes in (ever), has color options, is made for aquariums, and costs the same as gravel. I usually do a 50:50 black and white mix. This keeps it not too dark, not too light, and hides anything that may land on it really well. You won't find it at every LFS, but I can guarantee you they can probably get some in for you with their next order, just offer to pre-pay.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I have also been reading that you should add cichlid or aquarium salt to the water. Is this true?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    No. It is not true. That was one of my questions when I was setting up my mbuna tank. I was lucky enough to be able to plan mine with the help of the members here, plus a guy called Sandz that used to frequent this forum. Salt is not necessary for the health and well being of African cichlids.
    Last edited by showmebutterfly; 05-16-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    In most cases it won't make a difference. In order for it to make a difference everything else has to be so good that the salts are what is holding them back, and if that is the case even then you probably won't see any difference.

Focus on high quality food and water. This means feeding New Life Spectrum exclusively and doing big frequent water changes.

Keep in mind that a 75 is a relatively small tank for these fish, which are already extremely territorial and aggressive. This can be challenging to manage, especially if you aren't used to them. I suggest looking in to peacock cichlids. They are from the same lake, the same size, and arguably even more colorful. Best of all is they are tame compared to mbunas. They can be much easier to manage and less likely to turn the 75 in to an overcrowded prison yard.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.