· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Corys vs. Columnaris - 911

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, long-time lurker and first-time poster here.

A few weeks back we noticed that one of our albino cories had a really bad case of 'cotton-mouth' or columnaris. He had to be euthanized, unfortunately, but we immediately began treatment of the tank with Triple Sulfa; we chose this medication because we also have snails, cherry shrimp, and live plants in the tank, as well as a few other fish species in a peaceful community. Early on during the course of this treatment one of the bronze cories also succumbed to a mouth infection of columnaris. We isolated her and proceeded with the treatment in both the main tank and the isolation tank, but she was too far gone and also had to be euthanized.

It's been about a week since the treatment was finished and we've been keeping an eye on the population.

This morning I noticed that one of the pepper cories was not being very active. On closer inspection I found that he has a nasty columnaris infection under his tail (photo below). I've isolated him and dosed some Melafix as a stop-gap measure but I am not sure on where to go from here. Looking for some advice on how to proceed with this; what medications and measures will help to prevent this from continuing to spread through the tank!? Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

PLEASE NOTE - The image below of the list of livestock is wrong!

I didn't notice until after I uploaded the image and now I can't seem to delete it from this post. Actual tank population is:

1 x betta (very peaceful; thinks he's a cory too!)
    3 x albino cory (minus one)
    3 x bronze cory (minus one)
    3 x pepper cory
    7 x black neon tetra
    9 x whitecloud minnow
    2 x nerite snail
    5 x cherry shrimp
    lots of plants
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MGyver; 05-15-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Can't delete image!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Hideous, insidious disease. After fighting it myself I feel very sorry for anyone who has the misfortune to deal with it.

1. Cleanliness is king. As much as possible without causing fish stress, do large water changes and aggressively gravel vac.

2. Make sure you are fighting with the right meds. Stupidly, a lot of common antibiotics in the fish hobby are either grossly ineffective or have widespread bacterial resistance. For instance, metronidazole is good for mixing with food but anyone who has a fish that refuses food and tried adding it directly to the water should note that it a) doesn't dissolve and b) is quickly degraded by light. When I first began fighting columnaris I tried using minocycline. As it turned out, minocycline was only effective for very soft water, which is not what most fish keepers have. Stuff like this is written nowhere on the package and it's up to you to MAKE SURE your medication is effective for its situation and role. This website here really helps a lot.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....edication.html

Personally I found a combination of paraguard (a general kill-all) and kanaplex (relatively new antibiotic with little resistance apparently) most useful, although still not very effective.

3. This might be coincidental but I will mention it nonetheless. The columnaris outbreak I fought broke out at around this time as well, a time which, depending on your location (most people here are from the northern hemisphere) coincides with rising temperatures. Due to aquarium lighting and the heat-holding nature of water, aquarium temperatures may rise drastically. The thing with cories is that most species, and especially bronze and pepper cories, don't take the higher end of the tropical fish temperature range very well at all. It seems that high temperatures weaken their immune systems and makes them lose appetite, resulting in greater susceptibility to infection by pathogens. Given the time of year and the malnourished state of the fish in the picture (hunched back, flat belly, pinched tail) this might be something to consider (you didn't specify where you're from so for now I will assume you fit the majority demographic of living in the temperate northern hemisphere). With cories, it's always important to ensure they aren't exposed to excessively high temperatures (propping open tank lids is effective) and are always eating (tempting them with live foods like brine shrimp if needed).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I also had a case in March and I used a combo of the Kanaplex in the water as well as Kanaplex and another product called Focus (also from Seachem) which allows you to make your own medicated food, so I medicated my food with a combo of Seachem's Garlic Guard, Kanaplex and Focus, I even froze the food so that I had medicated food on hand for a couple days. I had a few fatalities-it is brutal and within 12 to 24 hours those few fish were dead, but I only lost a few not dozens.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Reduce the temp of the tank to low 70s to slow down the progression

If you didnt have the snails, I would add in 1 tabespoon per 5 gallons to slow down the progression.

Melafix and Pimafix are useless as a stop gap measure for outbreaks like columnaris. Hydrogen Peroxide is way more effective. The redox properties of this stops columaris in its tracks.

I have spoken with those who successfully treated columnaris and it was never a single medication used at one time.

for a ph of 7.5 and above use both triple sulfa and seachem kanaplex

for a ph below 7.5 use furan -2 and seachem kanaplex

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, everyone.

Pet stores aren't stocked with a comprehensive selection of meds (eastern Canada) but I will look around for some of the suggested products. pH in the tank is usually around 6.2 to 6.5 so I will look around for Furan-2 + Kanaplex.

Would Marycin-2 be worth investigating? Or any other meds that target gram-negative?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, hydrogen peroxide as a stop-gap is pretty easy. What kind of dosage is recommended for therapy? I could dose just the isolation tank for now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Try Amazon, usually best prices and delivery next day. By the time I drove to the LFS (that I hate but they had the meds for 3x the Amazon price and I needed the meds noe) I got home to a dead King betta. I used only the Kanaplex-Focus treatment and it worked for me.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGyver View Post
    Thanks, everyone.

Pet stores aren't stocked with a comprehensive selection of meds (eastern Canada) but I will look around for some of the suggested products. pH in the tank is usually around 6.2 to 6.5 so I will look around for Furan-2 + Kanaplex.

Would Marycin-2 be worth investigating? Or any other meds that target gram-negative?
    You can try Maracyn-2 if you have no other choice and need it now. It might work. It all depends on the strain. The ingredients for Furan-2 are also in Jungle Fungus Clear or Tetra Fungus guard. (nitrofuran sp?) I haven't found a readily available source for Kanamycin like Seachem Kanaplex.

Quote Originally Posted by MGyver View Post
    Also, hydrogen peroxide as a stop-gap is pretty easy. What kind of dosage is recommended for therapy? I could dose just the isolation tank for now.
    Generally, I do a bath for 30 minutes at a rate of 2 teaspoon per gallon, using over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide. It is important to mix the solution first and then add the fish. Do not add air bubblers as this will cause the HO to leave the water prematurely. Put the HO in the water and gently stir to mix. Remove the fish immediately if stress occurs before the 30 minute period. I know some folks are leary about using HO, so you can do the first bath at 1 teaspoon per gallon, and then try again the next day.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2017249

Research on using Perox-Aid (35% solution) on even channel catfish.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa157
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-15-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    OK thanks for the advice, everyone.

The latest casualty was euthanized on Friday, unfortunately. No further signs of infection in the other fish. We're being vigilant with the water changes and we have been stepping down the temperature gradually. Kanaplex isn't available locally but we've placed an order that should be delivered this week. In the meantime we'll be observant and try a hydrogen peroxide bath if anyone else starts showing symptoms.