· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

Question Is my tank cycled??

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I couldn't find a thread to post this on so Im starting a new one I guess. So my question is, Is my tank cycled? my last test readings were

pH 7.0
    Ammonia 0-.25ppm Im not 100% on the color matching
    nitrites 0ppm
    nitrates 5ppm

These reading were after a 50% water change. I want to add more fish but not until it has cycled. I had a nitrite spike over the weekend that hit 1ppm. But should I still see ammonia? I want to add more fish but not until it has cycled. I attached a photo of the last test results. Thanks in advance.

tank.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    How much ammonia did you add last time? And when?

Example is Sunday I added ammonia to bring up the level to .5 ppm at 12pm. I tested today at 6pm. And am showing less than .25 ppm or looks like 0 ppm?
    Last edited by cm12setx; 05-12-2015 at 03:32 AM.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Also Hi and welcome to AC.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    How long have you been cycling your tank? How many fish are in it and when where they added? What kind of water conditioner are you using?

Also, have you tested your tap water?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    Your readings were from after a water change so they are not accurate for cycling information, unless they are from several hours after the water change. Today, test the water before you do a water change and tell us the results. Since you say you want to add more fish, I am going to assume you are cycling with fish, so you need to keep the ammonia at or under .25ppm.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    ok so my readings the other day were at least 6 hours after the water change. I did daily water changes to keep the ammonia under .25 till I was getting a very low to 0 reading when testing. I have been cycling the tank for almost 6 weeks now. I have 5 GloFish which I know is to many now and I am currently using SeaChem Prime and API Stress Zyme after each water change. Here is a picture of my last test result looks like I still have a way to go looks like Im showing a little nitrites still.IMG_1721.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Anytime you show ANY trItes, a WC is in order....if your tap ph and tank ph are very close or the same, I'd do at least 50%, 75% even better

I'd be using just Prime and nothing else.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok that's what I've been doing anytime I get a nitrite reading and I've been adding the API Stress Zyme to keep the fish's stress down it seems to work idk if it's just me but when I didn't add it the fish seemed to bottom set for a while after the WC and when I use it you can't even tell I did anything they just swim around like normal idk. Thanks for the advice. If you had to guess how much longer should it be before the .25 nitrite reading goes down?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    It's hard to tell. Every tank is different and a lot of factors go into it ie. tap water quality, how well the substrate is cleaned, type of filtration, bio load of the fish, etc.

Just as an example of how different a setup could be, my 29g (with lots of fish) cycled in three weeks almost to the day and was wildly different in process compare to others. I saw zero ammonia for two weeks, then small amounts of ammonia for about four days, then right before the third week was up I had a small spike of nitrites for a day or two and then they were replaced with nitrates almost overnight.

Yet it took a good month before my 10g betta tank cycled. Go figure...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like you still have a bit of ammonia as well, but that could just be my monitor settings being different than yours. It's difficult to say how quickly nitrite will go down when cycling with fish because of all the water changes you need to do. However, since you are only registering .25ppm after 24 hours it should only be a short time, maybe another few days.
    As long as you are using Prime, you can leave the ammonia and nitrite at .25ppm or less each day because Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 to 48 hours. But, don't let the levels get above that with fish in the tank. Remember you do need some ammonia and nitrite to cycle the tank. Just monitor the levels closely and do a water change if they go over .25ppm.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me