· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help do I add more fish? Tropical Aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there! So I brought a 170L aquarium (my first decent tank) set it up and put in my heater and filter. The heater and filter are both for up to a 200L tank and are really good ones. I filled my tank with water as well as water treatment and stresszyme+ then let it run for 24 hours to get the temperature up to 26c and to settle. I added 2 zebra danios to start my cycle. Yes I wish I had have known about fish less cycling but I trusted my fish store owner who told me how to start my cycle. I let a day pass then fed them then let a day pass and after reading about getting established filter media I then went and got some filter media and water from a friends disease free established tank that has been up and running for 4 years. I did a water change and put my friends established water in and the filter media in and let the cycling continue. It's been a further week and I have been checking the water in the last few days with a test kit and the ammonia is at 0 the nitrites are at 0ppm and nitrates are at 25ppm. Also Ph is 7.2

Does this mean my tank is safe?
    Can I add a couple more fish to see if the levels change?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds good to go unless you are using test strips. If so throw them out and buy liquid kits.

If it is good add two more danios. Then a couple weeks later add two more. What else do you plan on adding?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would like some tetras and maybe two dwarf gourami. What would you recommend and how many fish would best fit in my tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Which tetras? Your pH is fine for them. I have found danios and barbs to be much hardier. For barbs stuff like checkerboard barbs, gold barbs, cherry barbs, and rosey barbs are all great, colorful, and hardy.

Stocking has more to do with water changes than tank volume. As long as they all have the space they need and your weekly water changes keep the nitrate under 20ppm or within 10ppm they are fine. Your water changes should be at least 25%, 50% or more is better (step up slowly). Stocking an Aquarium.

The other big factor is food quality. Feed New Life Spectrum exclusively and that's taken care of.

Do sand. It is much more natural, cleaner, and looks better. I only use and recommend Estes Marine Sand (aka Ultra Reef and Stoney River). It costs the same as gravel, requires no cleaning before or after being added (ever), and comes in different colors. I prefer to do a half black half white mix. It isn't too dark or light, but hides anything that may land on it really well.
    Aquarist since 1995

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the info that really helps. I will look into barbs and see what my store sells. And also the sand. Sounds really good.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also should I be doing daily or weekly water changes at this point in the cycle?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Weekly should be fine, but more is always better, especially when adding fish. Do one every 3 days or so, and a day or two after adding new fish.
    Aquarist since 1995