· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Air Pump Concerns....

0 Not allowed!
    I recently purchased my first fish tank and I live in a relatively small apartment so my number one concern is noise.

I have a 65 gallon tank with a Fluval 306 filter which is great and very quiet. I have yet to introduce any fish to the tank because I would like for everything to be set up the way I would like it first. My problem at the moment is I find the air pump humming to be very annoying.

I have researched a bit and found 3 possible option.

1. I go no air pump and point the end of the filter upward because that will do enough to keep the water moving. I have seen many people say that I don't need the air pump, however at my local fish store they said this would be a disaster.

2. I just turn the air pump off for a few hours a day when I am in the living room. (I dont care if it is on when I am at work, sleeping, or if I am cooking in the kitchen just for the few hours a day when i sit on my couch and read or watch TV)

3. I go with a planted tank and no air pump.

Please let me know what you guys think I am kind of leaning towards option 2 I just dont know if there will be any draw back. Obviously I would have to remember to plug the pump back in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I have invested heavily into my tank and I am excited about getting into the hobby but the noise from the pump is difficult for me to ignore.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    You could put the air pump on a timer if you want, set it to be off when you are at home. If you have adequate surface agitation from your filter you really don't need an air pump. Does the water flow from the filter break the surface at the top and dip into the tank with little bubbles on occasion? If so then this should allow enough gas exchange.

Years ago I had a very noisy air pump and I put it on a firm open cell sponge (so air could move and the sponge didn't hold in heat) that helped to deaden the buzz from it.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You don't need an air pump to keep fish. None of my 3 tanks has one. Just set your filter to agitate the surface of the water.

What you DO need to do is read the fishless cycling sticky in the beginner section of the forum; we can help you with any questions you have.

Welcome to the AC!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl   T.G.I.F.!  I can't drink alone. - Boundava   I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff   Thanks for the help! - BluewaterBoof   Just 'cause - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    It's interesting what salespeople will tell customers. I'm trying to figure out why they said you have to have an air pump and how not having one would be a disaster. Did they say how / why it would be a disaster? Or just that it would be and you should buy this pump and this tubing and while you're at it, you need this too... or else!
    I have 3 tanks. Only one has an air pump and that's only because it's needed for the sponge filter to work and we like the bubbles. If we didn't like the bubbles, I'd replace the sponge filter with a different kind of filter and remove the air pump. And my tank would be fine.
    Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the new tank! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    You don't NEED an air pump, but they are a good thing. They increase aeration and flow. I have seen them save entire setups many times when the filters stopped for no good reason. I personally would never run a tank without one. Are you LIKELY to have this issue, probably not. Is $30 worth of stuff that could save your entire setup worth it? To me it is.

Noise is nothing on the good ones. I prefer the Azoo pumps on DrsFosterSmith. They are silent, strong, and high quality. The largest is about $16. Some black tubing, a check valve, and a couple air stones (or pack of four) will keep you well under $30. Best of all many fish like the bubbles and will play in them.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.