· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, we really need to know the dimensions of your tank to be able to help you with your questions. Filters and heaters (along with types and number of fish) all heavily depend on the tank's volume.

I keep my tank at about 78* and my fish are fine. You will want to bump up your temperature into the 80's if you do a fishless cycle...high 70's if you opt for fish-in cycling.

Here's a list of the essentials you will need. You listed the larger stuff but there are also little things that will make life easier.

Heater
    Filter
    Thermometer
    Seachem Prime (or similar water conditioner)
    API Freshwater Master Test Kit
    Syringe (cheap plastic 5mL)
    Food
    Net
    Siphon vacuum

You mentioned transitioning new fish into the tank. Yes, you will have to acclimate the new fish before tossing them in (I killed my first five neons in less than 12 hours by not doing this). You need to float the bag(s) in the tank for around 30mins so their bag's water gradually matches the water of the tank. Once you're ready to put then into the tank you should remove them from the bag with your net and place them into the tank. It's not a good idea to dump the water from the bag into your tank. It could have bacteria and other nasties that can mess with your tank.

Welcome to the AC! Lots of great people around here. There's a ton of info to digest about the hobby, but as long as you take your time and research you will do just fine!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    yay! Thanks for all the advice ^^

Uh my tank is L: 60cm (23.6 in), W: 35cm (13.7 in), H: 40cm (15.7 in)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Regarding the filter-if you haven't gotten it yet there is a sale on them at Pet' (not at all) Smart.
    You can check the online prices-should be the same in the store.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    So with those dimensions, you have an 84L tank (~22 gallons).

For a filter, the folks here really like the AquaClear line. They are one of the bigger bangs for your buck. An AC50 would be a good size as the rule of thumb for filters is to get a filter with a rating of at least twice the size of your tank.

To heat a tank of that size you will want a heater with 75-100watts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Regarding the filter-if you haven't gotten it yet there is a sale on them at Pet' (not at all) Smart.
    You can check the online prices-should be the same in the store.
    OP, Boundava made a good point about Petsmart not being so smart. If you end up going to a large retail store like Petco/Petsmart, any advice given by the employees should be taken with a grain of salt. They generally mean well, but they only have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post

Here's a list of the essentials you will need. You listed the larger stuff but there are also little things that will make life easier.

Heater
    Filter
    Thermometer
    Seachem Prime (or similar water conditioner)
    API Freshwater Master Test Kit
    Syringe (cheap plastic 5mL)
    Food
    Net
    Siphon vacuum

You mentioned transitioning new fish into the tank. Yes, you will have to acclimate the new fish before tossing them in (I killed my first five neons in less than 12 hours by not doing this). You need to float the bag(s) in the tank for around 30mins so their bag's water gradually matches the water of the tank. Once you're ready to put then into the tank you should remove them from the bag with your net and place them into the tank. It's not a good idea to dump the water from the bag into your tank. It could have bacteria and other nasties that can mess with your tank.
    Add to the above list your substrate (either sand or fine gravel) and perhaps some other decorations, such as driftwood.

Also when acclimating, once the bags are floated for a while to equalize the temp, I then start adding small amounts of my tank water to the bag, three or four times over the course of an hour. This will acclimate your fish to your particular water parameters, such as PH. After this, then net the fish out and place into the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on the sand or fine gravel.

I went with the larger coarse gravel and now I need to swap it out for finer substrate as I want to start planting and swapping substrate in an established tank is a pain.

I know you're going for artificial plants now but like most of us you will eventually want to go live. Better to get the right substrate now in order to avoid extra work down the road!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ah ;; I already got big gravel, was debating over it with people and they were like "it's nicer" so I just went with it. Maybe I'll look into how much smaller gravel is and change it before I add anything else..

When I was looking at fish in pet smart I asked the guy how many tetra's I would need in a school and he told me 3 would be okay and I kinda just looked at him funny; since I read so many times that 6 is the smallest? Now I'm not 100% sure that's true but 3 seems way too small.
    But it's my favourite place to shop because my friend gets us discounts there >.>

I read that I can't put like 20 fish into my tank at once, is that true as well? Or if I do the bag thing will it be fine?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes 3 is too small for tetras. They show best behavior is larger numbers 10+. Less makes them stressed and tend to hide.

As for adding 20 fish at one time to your tank, that depends. How are you cycling your tank? If you are doing a fishless cycle-you can build up a nice big colony of bacteria by starting with a larger amount of ammonia and letting it cycle in a few weeks. Then would be able to add all fish at once because you have the bacteria ready to cycle their waste. If you are doing a fish cycle then you have to slowly increase the fish numbers as you build the bacteria to accommodate the fish. This can cycle in a few months (or more). You don't want to do a fishless cycle with 20 fish because you may be changing the water daily-2 times daily to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below .25 ppm. This takes a long time to cycle because the bacteria grow very slowly with the low levels of ammonia.
    Last edited by Boundava; 05-06-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    As for adding 20 fish at one time to your tank, that depends. How are you cycling your tank? If you are doing a fishless cycle-you can build up a nice big colony of bacteria by starting with a larger amount of ammonia and letting it cycle in a few weeks. Then would be able to add all fish at once because you have the bacteria ready to cycle their waste. If you are doing a fish cycle then you have to slowly increase the fish numbers as you build the bacteria to accommodate the fish. This can cycle in a few months (or more). You don't want to do a fishless cycle with 20 fish because you may be changing the water daily-2 times daily to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below .25 ppm. This takes a long time to cycle because the bacteria grow very slowly with the low levels of ammonia.
    so if I do a fishless cycle I can add them all at once?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast