· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

Default Help Me With My Fishie Shopping List? :D

0 Not allowed!
    So as much as I love scavenging the internet for information, I've come across...waay to much, all at once and decided to pop over here and ask for some help where people can talk to me directly and I don't have to worry about reading the wrong shit

This is my first ever fish tank, and I've started a list of all the things I still need to house my fishies. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and/or getting the wrong things.

I've decided I'm going to get neon tetras and panda tetras, in schools of about 16 each.

I've decorated my tank, and it's planted and has hidey holes, but now I'm at the hardware part, where I'm getting lost.

I know I need a filter, and a heater + thermometer for sure (98% sure neons like 76 F water? Conformation would be super appreciated though)

My tank takes two lights, and I've read that tetra's don't like super bright lights. Does anyone have any recommendations for lights? Or is there something else I should do to make it less bright for them?

Also is there anything else I need like 100% to house my fish (other than like..food and obvious stuff?)

Thanks for any help ^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Its been my experience that with shaded areas from plants that tetras are fine even with high lighting. 76 is fine. If you have live plants my main concern would be getting adequate lighting for them and letting the plants provide the shade. What size tank and type of lighting?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I bought artificial plants. So right now I don't have to worry about keeping plants alive.

I think it's a 25-30 gal, but different websites are telling me different sizes and I got it from family so they don't remember the size either.

No lights right now. Not sure what kind I need for my fish so I haven't bought any >.>

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    As another newbie definitely get the API master kit for frequent water testing.

Consider doing a fishless cycle with ammonia from the hardware store.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You said it takes two lights. Did you mean fluorescent, incandescent, cfl? Or do you not have the fixture? I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by takes two lights.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ^^ I was gonna do that. I've been reading a lot about cycling because when I first decided I wanted a tank I was like "wtf is that?"

I know theres like some transition period when you get your fish too, instead of just dumping them into the tank right away? But I haven't read into it much yet since I'm not actually ready to get my fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarfguy View Post
    You said it takes two lights. Did you mean fluorescent, incandescent, cfl? Or do you not have the fixture? I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by takes two lights.
    uhh...I have no idea? Just the lid of my tank has a spot for two lightbulbs?
    10423704_10155592363885455_6943091846634276079_n.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Those are t5 fluorescents. What I personally would do is get two 6500 k bulbs and either let a red lotus develop floating leaves or put some floating plants in there, but neither of those looks are for everyone.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If you measure the length, width and height we can help you figure out exactly how many gallons it is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thx for the nomination - pRED   right back at cha :o) - fishmommie   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    Before you buy fish read this.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    the ammonia you want is sulfate free. It will not bubble up when you shake it.
    If you cycle your tank first you can save your self and your fish you want a lot of troubles.

A good filter is hagen aqua clear my best guess is to start with a AC50 model. Like this. http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-50-P.../dp/B000260FUM

If we know you length height and width of you tank we can give a better recommendation.

Light in the 6500 range is good. And fake plants work great to start with.

A final tid bit aqueon pro heaters are really great. Like this one.http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Heaters.../dp/B0042FSVQE
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355