· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Question Using Sand Substrate

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if this should go here but I couldn't find another place for it so I hope this fits. I am hoping to get a tank going for Silver Dollar fish and I think it would really look good if I could use sand for them. I have been looking around at a lot of videos lately and noticed that you have to clean the sand. What is the community's view on putting the sand in a bottle and having it filter like this ? I'm asking because I live in a college dormitory and cleaning sand other ways will be very difficult. Any information would be very helpful!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's another tetra for your tank! - Slaphppy7   Can't have just one tetra! - steeler1   Sorry for your loss - ~firefly~   RIP to your betta - Slaphppy7   Hey look, another new shrimplet! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like a good way to get rid of some of the initial clouding.
    I did NOT realise one had to clean sand the first time I used some, so just threw a bag of builder's sand into my pond. 4 days of clouding later everything looked pristine, all wildlife unharmed. Obviously there may have been impurities in there and I could have just been lucky; but that was builder's sand. Aquarium grade sand does tend to be pretty pure. You'll get clouding, but you shouldn't get any chemical, etc ...
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies, 9x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Occasional platies & black devil trumpet snail

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind that a lot of the problems associated with sand have to do with the type of sand, not necessarily it being sand in general. Here is an article about the one I have used with great success: Sand as a Substrate
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Not all sand needs rinsing...I din't rinse my pool filter sand at all, tank was cloudy for a day or two, but cleared right up...I didn't care, it was cycling anyway, so no fish wwere in it yet
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to slap. Most pool filter sand is precleaned to avoid making a mess in the pool. While cleaning always helps, it's not that important with pfs.