· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    May I ask: What is a heater controller?
    A heater controller is a simple device that monitors the temperature in the aquarium (or other item, home brewers use this extensively). When the temperature goes below a certain temperature, it will supply power to your heater, allowing it to turn on. After it reaches the desired temperature, power is shut off to the heater. So the heater controller is plugged into the outlet, and your heater is plugged into the heater controller. The key is to setting your heater to turn off at a higher temperature than the controller.

How is this beneficial? Well, if your heater gets stuck in the on position, you don't have to buy a new heater or worry about overheating the tank because the controller will automatically cut the power off from the heater when the desired temperature is reached. It also allows people who use multiple heaters, to make sure that both heaters turn on and off at the same time. Also, you don't have to take your heater out if you decide to adjust the temperature of the tank. It comes in handy, when you want to raise the temperature for ich treatment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    How much higher than the controller should the heater be set at?

Say I want to maintain the tank temp at 78F....what should the heater and controller settings be?

I do not have a controller at this time, but am interested in getting one.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    You can set it to like 84F....it all depends on your fish max temp. The controller can also be set to turn on within a certain range difference from the desired temperature. For instance, you can set to not to turn the heater on until it is 2 degrees below the desired temperature. Without a heater controller, the temp of the tank could drop down as low as 5 degrees from the desired temperature before switching on.

Pay attention to the max wattage that a heater controller can handle. You can also plug a surge protector into the heater controller so that it will control more than 1 heater, assuming you do not exceed the max wattage.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Controllers malfunction too, seen that as well. I would rather split the power between two heaters if I'm buying two pieces of equipment anyways. That will guarantee that neither is strong enough to kill all the fish.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank for for this info, Rocksor. I've not considered this before.

Matt, thanks for the link.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post

Matt, thanks for the link.
    My pleasure.....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
    Controllers malfunction too, seen that as well. I would rather split the power between two heaters if I'm buying two pieces of equipment anyways. That will guarantee that neither is strong enough to kill all the fish.
    Anything mechanical fails over time, there's no preventing that.

If a controller fails, there is no loss of fish due to heat. The controller either keeps the power on to the heaters or does not supply power. If it keeps the power on to the heaters for too long, the off mechanism on the heater is generally functioning due to the fact that it was never used for the off and on function of the heater. Hence, why you should keep the heater off switch at a reasonable temperature for the fish that you keep.

When keeping 2 heaters, the one that stays on too long and too often is the first one to fail. Once that fails, and the other one stays on too long, the chances for the second one to fail increases as a result of the pieces that switch on staying stuck together for too long.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-01-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I know how controllers work, we used them all the time at the shop I ran. They malfunctioned too, sometimes on. The point is that if you have enough wattage to overheat the tank, there is too big of a chance that is exactly what is going to happen sooner or later.

Again, I prefer one or two underpowered heaters so that they don't have the power to overheat the tank. I don't trust any glass heaters anymore. I only use Cobalt Neo-Therm or Aqueon Pro at 2-3 watts per gallon. I also recommend replacing them annually as a the best fail-safe.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.