· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: 25 GAL Question

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

Default 25 GAL Question

0 Not allowed!
    So I got a 25 Gal from my boyfriend's dad, and was wondering how many Tetras and Zebra Danio's I can put into it.

I know they school, and I've read I can keep 12 (6 of each) in a 20 Gal, so can I fit any more into a 25?

Kinda new to fish keeping...soo...thanks for any help ^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry! Missed this one!

Although it's not perfect, AqAdvisor is a great tool for helping you decide on your stocking limits and compatibility between tank mates. You just type in your tank dimensions and filter type and then start selecting fish from the menu on the left side. It will display results for required temp/pH/hardness, your filtration capacity, and % of how stocked your tank would be with those types/number of fish. It will also throw some red flags if you pick incompatible species.

You had mentioned neon tetras in your other thread. These guys are somewhat delicate as they are so tiny, but as long as you keep your tank clean and stay on top of your water changes you should be fine. They are very beautiful and popular. The nice thing about neons is that they have a relatively small bio load, so you can keep quite a bit. You could throw 20 of them in your tank and still have plenty of room for some other types of fish. They will tend to stay in the lower half of the tank, so you might want to consider mixing them with other species that are top dwellers. Harlequin and hatchet fish are nifty little guys who can fill the void in the top of your tank.

As for the zebras...are you wanting those because you personally like the way they look, or because a pet store recommended them as a beginner fish? I've heard stories where people get them (our LFS tried pawning some off on us, as well) to start out with and then are stuck with them for years and regret not going with something more...uh...exotic. If your heart is set on them, you can put in ten neons and ten zebras and still have some room for some bottom dwellers like shrimp.

I don't want to overload you with info as there is a lot of it out there. Play around with the AqAdvisor calculator, for now, so that you can get an idea of how many fish you can stock in your tank. LiveAquaria is a good website to refer to as it has a nice selection of photos for the different types of fish out there. I like to go there, write down some fish that I like, then go to AqAdvisor and play around with numbers.

Happy planning!

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I posted this first, and I was going to get glofish which come in Zebras and Tetras, so was gonna get 6 of each and blah blah, but I found out it's actually illegal for pet stores to sell them in Canada, and don't have the guts to smuggle them from the States (or resources? aka car) so I started looking at other options of fish and found Neons, which is why I made the second post ^^

Thanks for the tips though! I never thought of getting top dwellers. I was just gonna get lots of neons and pandas. :D

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoelFae View Post
    So I got a 25 Gal from my boyfriend's dad
    I also found out it's not 25 its 22 >.>

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Have you seen cardinals, they actually are more colorful than neons and hardier too.
    ekf8y0.jpg

There are a lot of colorful small tetras that could work in a 25 gallon, even some small rasboras that could work too. Try http://www.seriouslyfish.com/ and see if you can find them localy, or even online. Usually it works out the same at fish stores will figure shipping into their fish's sale price.

By the way are you planning on doing a fishless cycle or cycle with fish? It will affect the amount of fish you can stock and the speed at which your tank is cycled. Make sure you read the sticky on cycling. I have had tanks for over 20 years and just got done doing my first ever fishless cycle on a 10 and 20 gallon tank. It took 3 weeks to cycle both tanks and i was able to fully stock the tank with all of my fish/shrimp at once.
    Last edited by Boundava; 05-09-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    By the way are you planning on doing a fishless cycle or cycle with fish? It will affect the amount of fish you can stock and the speed at which your tank is cycled. Make sure you read the sticky on cycling. I have had tanks for over 20 years and just got done doing my first ever fishless cycle on a 10 and 20 gallon tank. It took 3 weeks to cycle both tanks and i was able to fully stock the tank with all of my fish/shrimp at once.
    I'm gonna do fishless. I prepared myself before I even had a tank to realize that it was going to take me well over 2 months to get everything I need for my fish, and to cycle my tank. So I'm taking my time to get everything I want and need before I even add fish. I'm just trying to decide what kind I want ^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

1 Not allowed!
    Stocking has more to do with water quality (water changes) than tank volume. As long as all the fish have space and you keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm or within 20ppm of the tap with large weekly water changes they will thrive. This assumes you feed the best food possible (just as important as water quality).

I would work your way up to 50% weekly water changes.

If you do this you should be able to have large schools of each. FYI that pic of a cardinal is about middle of the road. On a dark background once they settle in they will look at least twice as good.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.