· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 180 gallon glass crack

0 Not allowed!
    106.jpg

so my tank has what appears to be many small fractures within the pane of glass. i cant feel it from either side, and if you look at it from the left or bottom, the marks disappear. im assuming they will eventually turn in to a larger crack. any idea what this is? ive only had the tank for about two weeks and this just seem to appear today

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    Did they just appear by themselves? Are they inside the glass? Is this in the front (largest) pane of glass, or somewhere else?

The worst case scenario is that these are stress cracks from the glass deflecting too much under the pressure of the water. Perhaps they were there all the time from manufacturing defects or other causes, and they are becoming larger under the stress of the water pressure. Can you try to see how far the glass is deflected? In other words, assuming this is on the front pane, it's normal for the pane to bend outwards slightly from the pressure... usually this is an outward bulge of just a couple of millimeters at most. Do you know how thick the glass is?

If it was me, I'd take it back to the store and exchange it under warranty. You don't want to run the risk of waking up one morning to a cracked tank. Since the cracks are inside the glass, there is no way it's anything you did.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    upon closer inspection, the marks appear to be further towards the front. when pressing my fingers against the inside, there appears to be a decent amount of glass between the marks and my skin. which leads me to believe they are just external scratches, however, i still cant seem to feel the marks. i considered trying to buff them out, but they seem oddly deep/open for scratches, almost like small chips or fractures.

im not sure how to tell how far the tank has bowed. by looking at it, there does seem to be a bow. but who am i to say that im even looking at it from the right angle. and how do i know the tank was perfectly flat to begin with?

im assuming they appeared today, im pretty observant and its unlikely they have been there longer than two days, i would have noticed something like that before. especially since i was sure to remove any bubbles that were sticking to the tank after set up. how likely is it that something on my jeans or belt would be able to give it those scratches? they look like as if someone tried cutting in to the tank but it all seems flat. there's a succession of marks moving in the same direction and the light only reflects off them from the top or the right.

also... since when do scratches reflect light like that? like as if theres a bunch of bubbles stuck to the tank